Monday, January 31, 2005

Worthwhile Reading.



In a world where addiction is often glorified, it is refreshing to find a novel that serves to dispel such notions. James Frey's A Million Little Pieces is a powerful, real life account of a man's fight against his addiction to crack cocaine. Unlike most tales about substance abuse, the author rails against common themes that are apparent in most rehabilitation methodologies. This is one of the best books I've read in a long, long time.

This book really got me thinking... Do current rehab practices draw personal responsibility away from the addicted? For example, in rehab clinics alcoholic patients are often told that alcoholism is a disease. True, there exists controversial evidence that one's susceptibility to alcohol may be genetic (source), but aren't we tossing personal responsibility out the window when we equate addiction with disease?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But when you are addicted, you have little control over the compulsion, just like when you are infected, you have no control over the symptoms of diseases.

I have not read the book, but it probably makes it easier both on the addict and the "cure" givers to think of the addiction as a curable disease. Something that will go away...

3:39 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Anonymous: Absent a sense of personal responsibilty for his/her situation, can an addict ever be able to recover fully?

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just saying that it's a fine line.

For me, in life there isn't such a thing as a full recovery. In the least, there's always memory and knowledge of having gone through the process.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Whenever I'm going through a hard time I find it helpful to investigate how I contributed to the problem. That makes it easier for me to accept the situation and move on/take action. Doing so helps me escape feeling victimized etc... Hence, dropping personal responsibility would make it more difficult to recover. But that's just me...

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home