Friday, February 18, 2005

Oh Man I Hope It's True!



Scientists at NASA will reportedly release findings soon that provide "strong evidence" in favor of life on Mars. Okay, I'll admit -- I'm a bit giddy. If true, the results would have enormous implications for the scientific world. Could life have evolved to handle the harsh conditions on Mars? Okay, I'll admit -- I'm also skeptical. How would life on Mars change your perception of life on Earth? Would you become more of a "God Guy," a "Darwin Guy" or would it not change anything for you at all?

By the way, the image above is a magnified look at Martian soil as taken by the Opportunity rover.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Changing methane levels. Sweet! Now just find the microbe or perhaps full sized martian. You also know that you are not supposed to use the D and E words creationisms all the rage with the intelligent design theory taken from the philosophical discussions on the existance of god.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

I always wonder if the G word is incompatible with the E word. Can't we consider evolution (oops, I mean E) as a process of intelligent design as dictated by selective pressure? Can't we take selective pressure as God (G) in action?

2:40 PM  
Blogger mindful said...

I wouldn't call selective pressure the work of God, but it seems possible that the "random" mutations that are subject to selective pressure are divinely inspired. I don't see how you could convincingly argue one way or the other (without citing some religious text) on that point.

Coincidentally, there's an interesting discussion of this point over on left2right.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

mindful: That's my point precisely. I don't understand why evolution must be incompatible with creationism. I don't see the delineation between mutation vs. selective pressure acting as the hand of God, but I think you can agree that neither creationists nor evolutionists can claim that their views are mutually exclusive.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! G is doing a whole bunch of experiments. If you throw enough shit on the wall, some will stick! I guess we are the ones that stuck and e...

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home