Friday, March 25, 2005

Good Things. Bad People.


So here's the skinny on me: I'm bitter. I've tried to be a good person. Sure, I've made some mistakes. Generally, I try to help others. I try to be selfless. I try to abandon my ego. Over and over again I've seen terrible people advance by hurting others, being selfish, living off of their ego.

Clearly, I'm doing something wrong. Should I change? Are success and happiness really coupled to being a bad person? Were Machiavelli, Rousseau and Spinoza right?


As Voltaire clearly stated in Candide, we simply do not live in the best of all possible worlds. Does this give us reason enough to stop trying to be the best people we can be?


Tonight my closest friend told me that a terrible person will soon be on the receiving end of a fantastic windfall. I couldn't help but feel sick.


I grew up regaling in stories about superheros. I was fascinated by the notion of people with exceptional abilities that protected the weak. At the age of five I tearfully realized that I would never fly, stick to walls, or exhibit superhuman strength. I recall approaching my father who explained to me, "Son, you don't need to be able to leap tall buildings to be heroic. Nor do you need the capability to fly. The most superhuman power any person can possess is a good heart. Dedicate your life to those in need. If you do that, you will be a hero."

I've tried to live by my father's words. Although lately it feels like Superman may need to be more like The Prince to get anywhere in this world.

2 Comments:

Blogger thc said...

V: C'mon now. Don't go judging your life by the fortunes of others. Bad people sometime prosper, but in the end good things happen to good people. Fight the good fight and make your father proud. It all works out.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

thc: Thanks for the kind comment. It's not that I'm judging my life against that of others per se. I just think its sad that tactics advocated by Machiavelli et al. seem to get the job done much more efficiently. You're right. I'll stick with my mild mannered ways.

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home