Saturday, March 19, 2005

Playin' The Hits.

It's been a while since I've made some music recommendations. Here goes:
The Magnetic Fields "I"

The Magnetic Fields is a band that I've only recently discovered. This group has the amazing capability to mix disparate instrumental sounds into one hot rocking album. The lead singer, Stephin Merritt's voice soars over the subtle sounds of cellos played beneath a bed of electronic music. The album smacks of eighties pop, which is a good thing in my book. This is an absolutely amazing CD, well worth the purchase.

George Harrison "Brainwashed"


It's not folk. It's not quite rock. It's just damn good. A close friend of mine lent me this CD and yowza, it's exceptional. Best song lyric ever: "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." This album constitutes George Harrison's final recorded work before he died in December 2001. Some Harrison fans may prefer his older stuff. I think this is some of his best work.

4 Comments:

Blogger mindful said...

Amen to both of those, vavoom! Good picks.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

mindful: Next time you have the chance, compare the lyrics from the Mr. T Experience and The Magnetic Fields... very similar in style!

10:06 PM  
Blogger Merry Stitcher said...

V -
Both of these sound great. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check them out.

I have a request from an 8th grader for help with a music project. I immediately thought of you. I know he'd love your help. Will you email me, please, and I'll connect you.

My heads hanging low this weekend....got any blues recommendations? I need em!

Ciao,
Mary

10:53 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Mary: Good to hear from you. Yes, I'll shoot you an e-mail (or give you a ring). Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit down. I'm a huge fan of Mississippi Fred McDowell. Take a gander at "Long Way From Home." It's his best album, says I. If you're feeling down as a result of being overworked, then be sure to listen to track five of this album -- "John Henry." Also, Son House is fantastic, a must buy if you're in that musical neighborhood. Another good blues choice is Charlie Patton. His work is old school, but vastly superior over other artists in the delta blues genre.

If you feel like listening to a jazz-blues fusion, take a close listen to "Bluesy Burrell." This album features the jazz guitar of Kenny Burrell and the Coleman Hawkins on saxophone.

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home