Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Bellow's Gift.


I have just discovered that Saul Bellow has died. Bellow's writing has had a profound impact on my life. I read Humboldt's Gift some time ago, but it's central theme has remained with me to this day -- how can an artist find significance in his work and life while living in a materialistic society? Bellow won the Pulitzer Prize in 1975 and the Nobel Prize in 1976. He wrote with clarity, wisdom and humanity. If you haven't read his work, honor him and yourself by doing so.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

It pains me to admit that I'm not familiar with Mr. Bellow and his work. I'm going to remedy this situation by going to Border's during lunch. What do you recommend I start with?

9:07 AM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Humboldt's Gift. It's his masterpiece, methinks.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Maseman said...

i think my friend kevin is a fan of his works, maybe i should pick up a copy

8:43 PM  
Blogger mindful said...

I've never read Bellow either. I'll have to give him a try.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home