Thursday, April 07, 2005

Eat The Hot Dog, Kid.


We've had a series of visitors come to stay with us over the past month. Some friends, some family. A couple nights ago we went to see the Golden State Warriors play the Houston Rockets. We were being good hosts, we got the tickets, went out to the Sunset District to pick up our guests, paid 14 bucks for parking at the arena (14 bucks!). I was sitting next to my cousin and decided that now was the time to go spend 60 bucks on food for everybody. 60 bucks goes a long way at an NBA game. I bought 6 drinks, two batches of garlic fries, two hot dogs, two hamburgers and a plate of BBQ hot links. Yes, 60 bucks goes a long way (wink, wink). I was missing the game, but figured "Hey, it's not so bad, our guests are having a good time."

If you've ever been to any major sports games you realize how difficult it is to carry that much food through the throngs of people wandering around the arena. After several "oh shit I almost dropped everthing" moments, I arrived at my seat. I sat down and started distributing the food. My cousin, who is 14 years old and certainly should know better cries out, "There's ketchup on my hot dog!" He screamed out in horror as if he was stabbed in the eye by a hummingbird. "Are you allergic," I asked. "No, it's just that there's ketchup on it!" I kept telling him, "It's okay, we'll just wipe it off. No problem."

"I can't eat it," he kept repeating. I tried to reason with him: "Look, there's hardly any ketchup on it. You can't eat it if we wipe the ketchup off? How about a delicious hamburger, or fries or hot links?" He was adamant, "No! I wanted a hot dog!" By now I was giving him the "Why I outta" look. C'mon kid, eat the damn hot dog. When I was a kid my dad would've soundly thrashed me if I didn't step up and eat the damn hot dog.

"Alright I'll be back." 20 minutes later I returned with a fresh hot dog. No ketchup, no mustard, just pure unadulterated processed meat and bread.

By the way, the Warriors beat the Rockets 122-117. I'm told it was an exciting game.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That does sound really annoying. Were his parents their to see this behavior? Kids these days.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Julie D. said...

14 years old? I read the story too fast the first time and thought he was about 7 (which tells you something).

BTW, I am taking your lentil recipe out of comments and posting it properly. Thanks! Can't wait to try it1

1:50 PM  
Blogger mindful said...

You are a saint, vavoom. I would have told the kid there wouldn't be any more hot dogs unless he ate the one I got him.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This couldn't have been the first time that you met the kid. Whether he is a petulant child or not, he is still a child. Grow up, and be a good host who is tolerant of others, their fine points and bad, or don't be the host. So suck it up and bite your tounge. If nothing else, you learned a good leson about not applying unsolicited condiments onto other people's food.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

anonymous (the mean one): I'm sorry, but 14 years old doesn't constitute being a child. Moreover, being a guest doesn't grant one free license to act in such a manner. I bought the kid another hot dog and did bite my tongue, so I think that does qualify as "sucking it up." From the sound of your post, you're a spoiled 14 year old kid. In that case, I can see why you're sympathetic to his cause.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous...the mean one...
My grandfather always used to say, "Eat that and you can have more." 14 is old enough to be tried as an adult for murder, it should be old enough to know that ketchup is a standard condiment on a hot dog and if you don't want/like catsup, you are in the weird minority and should be outcast to your own separate state. I reccomend Idaho.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear mean anonymous guy,

someone needs to teach the kid good manners or he'll grow up and post mean remarks on other people's blogs.

If anything, the kid shouldn't have gotten the second hot dog - it just reinforced his bad behavior. I hope you don't/won't have kids.

4:50 PM  
Blogger thc said...

V: If you take me to a ball game, I promise to eat whatever you buy for me and not complain.

8:02 PM  
Blogger boabhan sith said...

If it had been my cousin or nephew or son or brother or Hell even my friends kid...I'd have beat his ass and let him suffer.

LOL...I would've busted either one of my kids for that or at least spent my own money on another one for him.

WTF?

Inconsiderate bastards!

11:13 PM  
Blogger dahvid said...

spoilt kid. probably a trip to the suburbs of india would smack some sense of appreciation into him :P

3:00 AM  
Blogger Jimbobb2 said...

Yikes! I read what you were eating and now have heartburn. Boy, you youngsters with your cast iron stomachs...

4:33 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I say kick his ass! I mean c'mon, he's 14 for fucks sake! 14! Think about it? Where the hell were you at 14? He knows better, the little bastard. You should have made him go his damn self to get another hotdog. He's a big boy, he'd have found his way back just fine. I guess I'm the stricter one. It's respect, that's all. Though, I know that respect is VERY hard to give these day's. Especially with that generation. They're so jaded. And to mean anonymous, you're comment had no relevance! "Be a good host or none at all" The good host went for another hotdog and missed the game, damnit. I think you're an awesome host! Can I come stay over?! Oh, and I like ketchup.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh, and to anonymous who said, "If anything, the kid shouldn't have gotten the second hot dog - it just reinforced his bad behavior. I hope you don't/won't have kids."

It was just a hotdog. Hoping he/she doesn't have kids is a little much don't you think?

8:02 AM  
Anonymous PhatPharma said...

Let's hope mean anonymous does have kids and they hate ketchup and that mean anonymous forgets all about it one day and has to decide whether to go get a second hot dog to keep his kid from embarrassing him in public or disturbing the other fans. And maybe his mother in law will be there judging his decision all the while and he may have to choose something that doesn't feel perfect to him or look perfect to everyone who's watching. The 14 year old's parents might have stepped in here, Vavoom just managed an uncomfortable situation that he didn't create. Applying unsolicited condiments to other people's food? Ketchup is the only safe assumption.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous PhatPharma said...

Wait, did Jenn say she wants to stay over? Right about now I'd be rubbing my fists in my eyes as if to indicate they may be deceiving me (Squeak, Squeak). Bloggers get all the girls...

9:22 AM  
Blogger boabhan sith said...

Most anonymous commenters are chicken-shit bastards...uhm, parden my language, but anyone who has to anonymously post a comment to be mean shouldn't be giving advice anyway...

Step up and say it as you and don't hide behind "anonymous"...

...That's a good lesson for your kids right there!

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenn can come stay at my place. It's lots of fun and I'm a giver.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Anonymous (the horny one): What do you think this is match.com? Put your hot dog away, leave Jenn alone and be like Carmine "The Big Ragoo" Ragusa and take a cold shower. ;)

All: Thanks for backing me up. Guess what, they want to go to a Giants game on Saturday. Sigh...

1:06 PM  
Blogger Woland said...

Agree with mindful. Thouse kids get so spoiled these days!

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daddy says "Waste not want, want not! I think this kid needs to be enformed of this little term!

8:57 PM  
Blogger European said...

Vavoom-
I commend you for buying the little squid another hot dog. After all, he's not your kid to raise. You really are a most gracious host... Bloggin = Venting!
I"d have eaten the hot dog - even though I don't like ketchup either. :)

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home