Friday, April 08, 2005

The Hits Keep On Comin'

Three albums that you have got to get:

Gigi
by Ejigayehu "Gigi" Shibabaw

This CD mixes Ethiopian singing with electronic vibes. Whoa momma, is it good! This album was produced by Bill Laswell and features appearances by Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and Henry Threadgill. Jesus, it doesn't get any better than this.

Gospels Spirituals and Hymns by Mahalia Jackson

Speaking of Jesus, Mahalia Jackson is the most amazing gospel singer bar-none. This 2 CD compilation is a fantastic introduction to her work. "I Found the Answer" is the best song on this comp. Ahh, this brings me back to my days of singing in a Baptist choir. Actually, I've never sung in a Baptist choir. This CD makes me wish I had.

Pink Flag by Wire

An absolutely ass kicking CD that reminds me of my childhood days as a skateboarding punk. Yes, I was a skateboarding punk. It's a slowed down version of the Sex Pistols. Buy it, listen to it and thrash around your apartment.

To continue with the show and tell atmosphere of this blog, what are you listening to these days?

7 Comments:

Blogger Tex said...

A friend just turned me onto The Juliana Theory and Death Cab for Cutie. But Millencolin, Elvis Costello, and the Refreshments (currently Roger Kline and the Peacemakers) are on the top of my playlists. Also finding Coheed and Cambria, the new Bad Religion, and Nikola Sarcevic in the player as well. Keep on rocking in the free world. Fight corporate (un)america!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Jimbobb2 said...

A Skateboarding Baptist Punk Choir Singer...what a dream! I'm listening to anything by Louden Wainwright |||, Sympathique by Pink Martini and whatever at all by the Opera Babes. I'm also stuck in my-my-my-myyy generation and love old Doors, Country Joe (Give Me An F...Give me ...)and Rolling Stones...who I saw in concert in New Orleans in 82. For something different, Google the The "New Leviathan Oriental Fox-Trot
Orchestra" and get a CD...makes ya want to fox trot and boogie in your zoot suit!

7:34 AM  
Blogger secondsb4wake said...

I picked up Tori Amos "Little Earthquakes" the other day at the used tape store. I needed something for my running walkman. I haven't listened to her for awhile--pretty good stuff.

Also, along with my Humanities kids, I've been getting into Hayden.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

My latest faves are The Decemberists and These Arms Are Snakes. Pink Flag is one of my favorite albums ever.

1:34 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

I'm impressed to see a mention of Wire anywhere even though I'm a bigger fan of their later recordings. Currently, I've been trying to fill in a few areas I was lacking in (I research 80's music for my web site) and picked up NWA's Straight Outta Compton, Willie Nelson's Essential Collection and Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back.

12:17 AM  
Anonymous little john said...

Wire. They are great.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Dusty Sandals said...

Hell Vavoom, just returning the favour, by logging onto you. Having just returned from PAK, I brought home a CD called "Love Songs" by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. This is a remix Album, but I was aware of Nusrat from a few years ago. If you get a chance try some. You might even be able to find the remix by Basement Jaxx, called Mustt Mustt. This is a kicker. By the way ow or why did you log onto my web site. I'm flattered!
Dusty Sandals

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home