Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Kiss of Ass.

How many of you out there have an annoying guy at work that kisses ass? I've got one at my workplace that's absolutely shameless. This guy is the worst. He does whatever it takes to make sure the boss's ass is shiny clean. Here's an example -- as soon as our advisor walks through the door, he'll ask her if she's comfortable, needs a drink etc... Making matters worse, this guy plays horrible politics and undercuts everyone else around him. No, he's not the brightest scientist I've met. Why can't this guy let his work speak for itself? If you want to impress your supervisor, work hard. Get things done. Help the people around you.

It's hard not to be frustrated by him. He's so obvious and I keep telling myself, "Man, our advisor has got to see through him." Alas, at our meeting today he'll pull the same crap. I'll roll my eyes, grin and bear it.

10 Comments:

Blogger | rc | said...

Haha that's hillarious, I have the same type of person that does that at our weekly meetings too...at times it's gets so obvious that it get embarrasing!

I guess every company has one lol.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous little john said...

I have one too. He owes much of his success to the boss' help, but when the boss is not around he is an arrogant son of a bitch. The staff hates him. He's the new guy, been here three years. I always think he will shoot himself in the foot, but he keeps getting richer and richer. Someday...

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The King...er... Kiss of Ass sounds like a real piece du merde as the frog's would say. I am sure this behavior has gotten him far so far, but eventually, if he stays in science, his work will have to stand on its own. Keep your head up and your balls low.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man that is funny! Honestly there is at least one in every group. I have someone at work who is the "underperformer". He always offers to buy our boss lunch, lattes etc. It is so obvious to HER and the rest of us that is what he does to keep his job! You just have to laugh! Trust me the bosses always know- they just like it and say nothing.

8:23 PM  
Blogger A Fashionista said...

We just have juvenile slackers at my place.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

We have one too. This person gets away with murder. At first it used to upset me, but then one of the Post Doc in the lab said, in the end, when it comes down to it, we all must produce and this is the only way we will get ahead.

8:39 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

I think there are natural kiss-ups out there. Then again, there are those out there that feel they need that extra edge to keep their jobs. I don't understand it myself.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Raine said...

I have a colleague who's that way. It's so obvious to everyone, it's paintful to watch. It gains him -0- brownie points, but he's ever the optimist.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Rattie said...

OMG sounds like some of the gradstudents in my department!

4:16 PM  
Blogger blacqbook said...

Whenever I have witnessed such behaviour, I have been amused. Look away. His time will come.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home