Friday, April 15, 2005

We're Outta Here!!!

Finally it arrived. The letter. I've been flirting with a major research institution on the east coast. They've promised me time and time again that I would be admitted. Everything showed up in writing today.

I am currently a graduate student at UC Berkeley. I did my undergraduate work there as well. I'm leaving. I'll be transfering to another institution in the Boston area at the end of summer. My gradate career will continue. What a relief.

My graduate days in Berkeley were painful. I worked for the most horrible human being I've ever met. He was a complete monster. I was forced to work 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week. The hours weren't what was bothering me. Every hour or so the professor I worked for would come in, call me a fucking idiot, tell me I was incompetent and that I was too old for graduate school. Mind you, I accomplished more in my first year than anyone I've met. Still this guy rode me like a trick pony. Now that I've left his group, he's had to hire two full time postdoctoral scientists to replace me. He was really terrible. He used and abused his students and staff. Hell, 6 people have left his group in just 3 years. Keep in mind, his group is ~7 people large at any given time. Sadly, there is no way to regulate the actions of a professor. They are kings in academic circles.

For the first time in a long, long time I'm happy. Really happy. My wife and I are going to start our lives over in Boston. Yes, we're excited.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEEEEHHHHAAA! Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Vavoom! Forget about that JERK. He sucks BIG TIME.

5:12 PM  
Blogger thc said...

You know how happy I am for you. But for selfish reasons I hate to see you go. Anyway, congratulations!

6:37 PM  
Blogger mindful said...

Congratulations vavoom, you deserve it.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Merry Stitcher said...

V and Mrs. V - CONGRATULATIONS on getting the official news. I'm breathing a sigh of relief for you.

We'll miss you much, and we're excited to have friends in Boston!!

Now that you're happy, will you sleep?
(Just curious.)

Looking forward to celebrating!!

Mary

7:20 PM  
Blogger SexyChica007 said...

i'm so glad yur happy i mean you never know what will happen so you should life to its fullest and do whatever makes you happy.

8:32 PM  
Blogger A Fashionista said...

KUDOS!
I'm happy for you.
I work with some serious ass wipes too. Not so much the big bosses but just about everyone else.
Lots o' luck.

9:41 PM  
Anonymous YourNeighborhoodHarvardMan said...

Congratulations on your admission to Harvard! First, let's work on your spelling of "gradate" (sic) in your original post.

Then, let's get "veritas" tatooed on your forehead.

...and finally, remember that no matter what they say, you will get a ticket if you go to Bahston and pahk youh cah in Hahvahd yahd.

If you need any more advice, you'll find all you need to know right here: http://www.boston-online.com/glossary.html

12:10 AM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

Congrats!! Ask for snow boots and a shovel for house warming presents. You have to feel entirely liberated to be getting out of there. Hope the professor falls on his ass.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

All: Thanks for the kind comments.
HarvardMan: Nobody said anything about Harvard. Lots of schools in the Boston area. No point in picking a favorite... Besides, there's no way I'm "good" enough for Harvard... Thanks for the correction of gradate.

1:30 AM  
Blogger Z said...

Yes, congratulations. Sounds like a move was long overdue.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wow! What great news!!! Congrats!!! And Massachusetts is so much nicer than California, especially in the winter months :P

7:30 AM  
Blogger Hoagie1 said...

Congradulations.

It's a celebration, Bitches.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

WOOT! Congratulations! How exciting!

11:58 AM  
Blogger secondsb4wake said...

Congrats!

12:14 PM  
Blogger SexyChica007 said...

omg, i am still glad for you but you should be happy for me i'm a freshman and i just made jr. varsity cherleading!!! Yeah but i wish i was varsity but alas i'm still surprised i made it! We should have a little party! Heck yes,,LOL!

8:27 PM  
Blogger OrenZ said...

yeah.. good fer ya, can start new chapter.. wish u the best..

9:37 AM  
Anonymous little john said...

Great news. Boston is a great town. It's going to be a little bit better this fall.

8:36 PM  
Blogger dahvid said...

haha...your prof sounds like prof snape in harry potter :P

well done

9:35 PM  
Blogger Raine said...

Congratulations, V!

12:19 AM  
Blogger Rattie said...

Sounds like that dumbass prof. you worked for could be related to my supervisor!! Nevertheless, congratulations on your move to Boston! Oh, Boston is a cool city I lived there for a couple of years.

4:22 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Wow Vavoom! I'm jealous! You're about to begin a whole new adventure! All the new people, and places, and things to do... Man! You have me wanting to move now, lol.

I have to say, I really admire you for being able to take your life back instead of letting Mr Dickhead crush your spirit. It's unfortunate that some people feel they have the right to treat others like that, and it's even more unfortunate that there are others that look up to and actually want to become people like that. I'm so glad you're not one of them.

You're one of the good guys, Vavoom. Never lose that sense of decency.

Oh! And when you get to Boston, if you see any cute, single, 40ish type professors, could ya invite me over and hook me up? :o)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Thanks, RT. I really appreciate your kindness. Good looking professors is sort of an oxymoron... but I'll do my best!

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home