Saturday, April 09, 2005

Why We Go.


Just got back from watching the San Francisco Giants play the Colorado Rockies out at SBC Park (a fantastic venue, if you're ever in the area). I'm one of those guys that said he'd never go to another ball game after the strike. I also considered boycotting pro baseball after the recent steroids scandal. After watching the game today, I realized why I keep coming back.

The first eight innings were horrid. The Giants had no runs and it looked pretty grim. At the bottom of the eighth, Michael Tucker connected for a grand slam. Voila -- the Giants won. Final score: Giants 4, Rockies 2.


I saw fathers and mothers dancing along side their sons and daughters. Friends high fiving. Hell, I was jumping up and down. Despite the foolish actions of owners and players alike, it's still a fantastic game. Fantastic enough for me to keep coming back to it.


More pictures, for your viewing pleasure.






11 Comments:

Blogger thc said...

Great post V. But I'm a little miffed that I wasn't invited for a hotdog.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

There were no hot dog incidents this time around. Their father was around, hence they behaved like angels. We'll buy some dogs at the Russian River...

2:51 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

My best friend just moved to SF and has season tickets!

http://luckyjuju.blogspot.com/2005/04/go-giants.html

And, as it turns out, I'm from Boulder, CO so I know all about them Rockies (they suck!).

11:21 AM  
Blogger Jimbobb2 said...

I love the game too...Go Braves! But, this'll make you think...http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05087/478631.stm

11:27 AM  
Blogger Jimbobb2 said...

Oopa...just in case that link didn't work.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg
/05087/478631.stm

11:29 AM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Jim: Okay, I'm boycotting the dodgers. Wait I'm a Giants fan. That works out perfectly!
Helen: Good to see you around! Thanks for your comment.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Joann said...

We have yet to see a game at the new park. Some day.

1:54 PM  
Blogger neil said...

Thats good!

2:55 PM  
Blogger irishkeough said...

The Giants blow. Their fans blow harder. They show up in the 4th inning and expect 400 people to all stand up and get out of the way while they go to their exact seats which by then have been taken by some kids trying to catch a Barry ball. Then, half an inning later, they get up because, "We just have to have some garlic fries." Garlic fries are an abomination. The concept is great, but at SBC/Pac Bell/ whatever corporate sellout now, the fries are soft and soggy and crap. So then 400 people get up again, blocking the view of fans all around them. By the way, these people are on their God damned cell phones the entire time. They don't even know the score for crying out loud. Then these people leave in the 8th inning because they want to beat the traffic. This exact scenario happens to me every stinking time I go to SBC/PacBell/ whatever park. This, and this alone, makes me a bigger A's fan.

The hunt for a Green October begins now.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

irish: You prove my point. It's gotta be a great game if it invokes such feelings in its patrons.

4:56 PM  
Blogger | rc | said...

Nice pictures voom. I visited that park last year with my bro but no games were playing when we went, so I just took some pictures from the outside :(. I'm a Dodgers fan so I'd probably get food thrown on anyways :P haha.

It's a great game none the less (stupid strikes and the crazy contracts for players!), my sis was at the game there yesterday I'm sure she had a great time.

I'll have to attend a game there soon. Looks so nice.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home