Thursday, May 26, 2005

Brrrr!

Well, resourceful me has found a way to keep the blog rolling while juggling the task of apartment hunting. Don't ask how I got myself on the internet in our cheap hotel. I won't tell.

Being a native Californian, let's just say I've been overwhelmed by the bad weather over here. It's about 48 degrees, raining with 37 mph winds (and these aren't warm gales blowing in from the Gulf of Mexico, I'll tell you that much). We laughed, thinking how a day like today is reminiscent of the coldest day we ever see in Berkeley. I almost had to remind myself that it's actually springtime in Massachusetts.

Nevertheless, Boston is an amazing city. I've always loved it and I'm so excited to be here. I'm a sucker for American history, bookstores and fine music. Clearly, Boston is my kind of town.

We've found an absolutely amazing apartment. It's about 5 minutes from my future lab and 10 minutes from the T. I can't claim the price is exactly fair, but it's certainly a good deal by this market's standards. We put in an offer for it. It's surprising how much damn information they need for these applications. One woman at a different apartment complex said she wanted our full bank statements and may need our tax records. I'm no fool, no sirree. I told her she could stick her own taxes where the sun doesn't shine and moved on to the next place -- which turned out to be our dream apartment.

There's supposedly ~20 people vying for this two bedroom "palatial estate". We'll find out if we got it tomorrow. Normally I'd be nervous, but seeing how fantastic this city is, I'm just happy we're going to live here.

On a more bizarre note, I simply don't understand why our hotel only offers soap and shampoo from Bath and Body Works. I'm washing my ass and my hair with some stuff labeled "Cucumber Melon." Tomorrow morning I'm going straight to the store. I need shampoo and soap that doesn't smell like jolly ranchers.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing like a jolly rancher in your ass to make you smell fresh all day long.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous FNPhD said...

Congratulations on the apartment! There are plenty of great things to do in Boston and Cambridge; I miss my old stomping grounds! The weather will take some getting used to. Remind me to call you in January to gloat about the sun out here in CA.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

fnphd: We don't have the place yet... I think we'll find out later today. Will let you know. Thank you for twisting the dagger on me over the weather situation. Ahh, sweet friendship!
anonymous: Anything named "Cucumber Melon" should not be in anyone's ass.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Good luck in getting your apartment. I hate hate hate the cold weather. Arkansas probably only has a couple of weeks of what people in Boston would call winter, and even that is too much. Remember to think warm thoughts.

By the way-what hotel are you staying at?!? Every time I stay at a hotel I only get those little bottles of shampoo that smell like the hotel and the little tiny soap that dissolves before you can get thoroughly clean...

8:13 AM  
Blogger FantasticAlice said...

Hope you get it!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

I went to Boston once, to a convention while I was in college. We stayed in an old hotel by the Boston Commons. People told us later that was a dangerous place called "the combat zone", but we walked around all hours of the day and night and didn't have any problems. I walked around Harvard and MIT and rode the T. It was a pretty good experience, but the people were not overly friendly. Might have been because some of the smartasses with me were trying to imitate their accent. Boston seemed like it would be a decent place to live, if you like city life.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Danilo da Silva said...

hmmm... Boston, one of the cities of my choice to live, although I've never been there. Good luck man and just out of curiosity... why is there a problem with smelling like jolly ranchers? Theres nothing wrong with that! A lot of grown manly man like that smell. I would have a problem with the cucumber thing though... thats dangerous... specially in some areas of the human anatomy.

take care and send some of the cold weather here if you dont like it cause i miss it soooo much.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Wishing you all the luck I got!

Cucumber Melon smells THEE best! I say you keep using it. Mrs. Vavoom will surely appreciate it!

7:08 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

Using the cucumber melon only leads to facials, manicures and hair gel. You might need to scare the metrosexual off yourself by finding your new town's nearest dive bar. Heck, come on... it's the town of Cheers for chrissakes! B) I won't give you any weather digs but it looks like the holidays are going to be full of cold weather gear shopping. I'm happy that you are enjoying the town.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

The weather in Boston this week has been about 20 degrees below the average for this time of year.

For more info on getting around on the T go to www.mbta.com The Trip Planning link on the main page is helpful.

Good luck on the apt.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Lily: Thanks for the tip. I can't believe it's so damn cold here. I hear it'll get better tommorrow.
Megan: Well, we're staying in your average low class kinda joint. It is surprising, indeed, that they'd have Bath and Bodyworks stuff here. For now, I'm back to my manly Irish Spring scent. However, I'm not ruling out a return to Cucumber Melon.

9:44 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

48 Degrees! That's cold? hahahahahahahaha. Wait till winter!

But I think Boston is worth it. I have never ever had a bad time in Boston. That city rocks.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home