Friday, May 06, 2005

Heading Home.


I'll be visiting my parents for the next week. When I think of my childhood, I think of how interesting my upbringing was. One of my earliest memories was from kindergarten. Apparently I had run out of socks to wear so my mom said, "here, wear these." I looked at them and was appalled. They were red with lace around their circumference. "But mom, these are girls socks," I complained. "No, no, they're spiderman socks," she reasoned, "look, they're red like spiderman and that's not lace... it's spider webbing. Just tell everyone at school they're spiderman socks. You'll look just like a superhero."

Mind you, it was broiling hot outside and I was wearing shorts. No, nobody believed they were spiderman socks and, sweet jesus, did I get the teasing of a lifetime.

I remember coming home angrily and letting loose on my mom, "you said they were spiderman socks. You lied to me! All the kids teased me at school because of these stupid socks!" I looked into my mother's eyes and saw tears developing. You see, both of my parents worked long hard hours. We weren't rich people. "I'm so sorry," she said, "I was working late and didn't get the laundry done in time." Suddenly, her face straightened. "Besides, those are spiderman socks. The next time someone picks on you for what you're wearing or who you are you stick up for yourself. Don't let anyone do that to you."

Guess what -- I wore those "spiderman" socks the next day, with my head held high. In a sense, I've worn those socks everyday of my life since then. From a simple pair of "spidersocks" I learned how hard my parents worked to keep our family afloat and to be proud of everything they provided me.

17 Comments:

Blogger Suzie Petunia said...

What a sweet story. I want to be a mom like that.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Aww, that's awesome.

My mom and I have been at eachother, but because of her, I also wear my "spiderman socks" everyday.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Raine said...

Nothing better than a loving mom!

9:08 AM  
Anonymous little john said...

Great post! I worry about my kids being spoiled although I only have myself to blame. When it comes to clothes try out a 13 year old girl. Thank God for school uniforms.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

That's sweet. *sniff*

10:07 AM  
Blogger Morwenna said...

Very good story! And a good lesson from it as well. Thanks for posting it!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Davydgrey said...

Hmmm don't know whether to smile or laugh at this story. Somehow I think there is a marketing prospect here though...

8:15 PM  
Blogger Joann said...

I work long hours too. When my daughter was younger she wore some interesting outfits.
That was a great Mother's Day story.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

It is so nice to see that you appreciate and respect your parents. I hope you have a good visit home.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Jimbobb2 said...

Wow, memories of a Superman outfit just percolated up from some very deep crevice of my old brain. What a rush. Thanks!

5:18 AM  
Blogger Anandi said...

great story. have a nice time at home!!

6:30 AM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

Definitely a great story. I find it amazing how children can be taught to take things for granted and this is how you learned appreciation. B)

7:58 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

That's so great. I remember once fighting with my mom about which socks to wear (I was about 5-6) and since I disagreed with her I just went without - bare feet in boots on a snowy Colorado morning - not so smart!

I also just realized that I removed my main blog from my profile b/c of all the random hits... but in case you want to visit there too, you're allowed :-)

www.graceopenheart.blogspot.com

Good luck with the move!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Rattie said...

Wonderful story! Thank you for sharing.

3:08 PM  
Blogger dahvid said...

that's a really nice account :P bet your mom must be proud of ya. ;)

9:41 PM  
Blogger Fei said...

It's great to know that a real hero is always near. I love your story.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home