Tuesday, May 31, 2005

My Wife, My Savior.

I met her about eight years ago and knew she was the one. We've been married nearly five years and to this day, I've never regretted my decision. My Wife. When we started dating I was an undergraduate, spending way too much time in the lab, bereft of any financial stability. When I applied to graduate school, it was she that supported me and convinced me that I could go anywhere and do anything I wished. Despite all my insecurities, despite all of my anxieties, she has always been a voice of strength, compassion and loving reassurance.

Now that we're married, my schedule is the same. For nearly a year and a half, I worked incredibly long hours. Not once did she complain. Not once did she express anger over my scientific drive. I know that it hurt her. I know that she missed me. Not once did she mention it.

When she moved to the Bay Area, long ago, she fell in love with it. The great weather, the endless list of outdoor activities, all served as reminders that we live in a fantastic place. She quickly made close friends and established herself in the community. Her career skyrocketed. When I told her that things had unraveled here at Berkeley and that I wanted to transfer to Fancypants University on the snowy East Coast, her only response was, "Vavoom, I'm behind you. Wherever you go, that's where I want to be. We're in this together."

It's hard for me to convey how much I love her. Words can't describe how much I appreciate all that she does for me, day in and day out. She's sleeping now. All I can do is look at her with a smile and a tear in my eye, knowing that I've been blessed. She is the greatest person I have ever met and I am so lucky to share my life with her.

As a child, I always dreamed an angel would appear and make everything right. A cherub of fortitude that would protect me against all harm. She appeared. She made everything right. My Wife, the angel.

20 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

It's such a sweet and touching post. *sniff*

8:09 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Awww. You made me all watery eyed. Its beautiful when someone can express love like that. She sounds like a fantastic person; the wife we all either want to be or want to be married to. I guess I just overidentified with your post, because it reminded me of my fiancee.

I graduated college, and he was completely supportive of my starting a PhD program. He never complained when I studied 12 hours a day on top of working 8. And when it did not work out he was so great about me taking a little longer to get my masters. I'm still working on it, and he is my biggest cheerleader and motivator.

Thanks for the happy thought.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Your Dentist. said...

Awww!!!! I couldn't agree more.

She's a great lady.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

What a great post. I love those moments when you/I stop to think how lucky you/I are to have married the perfect person.

I also scrolled a bit to notice you're a recent transplant. I've lived in the Boston area my whole life and even though I'd love to experience another city, I would never want to leave indefinitely. It's a great place.

1:07 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Awwww! That is so sweet!

Between you and THC, you're making me miss having a guy in my life... Stop it!

:o)

1:11 PM  
Blogger thc said...

Vavoom: Do you think we both over-married?

3:51 PM  
Blogger Anandi said...

Yay - that's awesome. Your wife is going to read that, right? She should - that's better than sending flowers or any gift you could buy!!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Rattie said...

Okay it's not often I get all warm and fuzzy inside after reading someoone's blog...thank you so much Vavoom for sharing. **Wiping tear from eye**

Yes, you are a lucky person. My husband left me after 13 years when I decided to do my PhD. But it's wonderful to know there are spouses/partners out there who are supportive...it gives me hope.

4:57 PM  
Blogger FantasticAlice said...

Vavoom, it is so hard these days to find someone so compatible.

I am glad that you have.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Moose said...

That's beautiful.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Raine said...

Hey, as a former radical feminist, you've now got me feeling bad for Mrs. V. I hope she gets to live out her dreams, too, Mr. V!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Raine: Don't worry. The move will help her career as well. C'mon, I'm not such a bad guy!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Danilo da Silva said...

Hello Vavoom,

indeed, extremely nice post. Nicer only due to the fact that it is real, it isnt a fairy tale like the movies, it really exists. Its inspiring.

Not taking side here, but I understand Raine's point-of-view; however, there are those whose priorities are not only wealth and success, there are those who value love and happiness. Who says one's dream is not to be with the loved one?! I'm not saying this because I am a man, I've seen men give up many things for a woman, give up many opportunities of financial stability.

Think about it, Vavoom's post is about love, love as is. Tks for sharing Vavoom.

9:51 PM  
Blogger dahvid said...

ehh..i want a wife like that too! :P

err...sorry, that was lame

happy for you vavoom!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Raine said...

V: Okay, I'm glad it's a good move for both of you. I had to give you a hard time, though! That's what a female blog buddy is for. ;-)

10:21 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Don't you ever feel that saying "I love you" just doesn't do your feelings justice?

Like times where you can be hugging each other so tightly water couldn't get between you, but it still feels like you just can't get close enough.

Or when you're watching them sleep in their and the feeling is so over-whelming it brings a tear to your eye.

I love those feelings, but at the same time I wonder if there's something bigger than love. That something that you and Mrs. Vavoom seem to be sharing....

~chills~

2:29 AM  
Blogger Mr. Snitch said...

A well-adjusted, happy blogger. You trying to make the rest of us look bad?

9:44 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

Awesome post, Vavoom. Sometimes family can't stand behind everything you attempt out of their own personal fears for you but if you have the right partner, it's amazing the resolve you find from their words. Very lucky.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Lady of the House said...

That's so wonderful that you've found someone like that. If only all people could be so lucky :)

3:16 AM  
Blogger Carpediemlc said...

It will be awhile before I fall in love or settle down, but when I do, I want to follow your and your wife's example.
It is beautiful beyond words...just beautiful.
Thank you.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home