Thursday, June 23, 2005

An Army of One.

So here's the situation -- my advisor is off teaching a class at some hoity-toity place. It's a lab based course that draws graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and professors alike. Each class has approximately 45 people, all of them work on the same project for 12-13 hours a day.

Guess what? The other graduate students that were supposed to be planning the project for these attendees to work on failed miserably. As a result, two days before they were scheduled to teach this class, they didn't have a project for these 45 students to work on. As a result, they decided to take my project. Yes, you heard that right.

What does that mean? It means that Vavoom will be competing with 45 people, working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'm not joking, my advisor expects me to outperform this monstrous team. I was told before they left.

Normally, I'd freak out about something like this. Lately, I've been in a "bring it on" sort of mood. Yes, they've got 45 people, but I can do this. It's time to roll up my sleeves and whip some ass.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whip AWAY! Yeah Vavoom, you can do it! : )

12:54 PM  
Blogger thc said...

They don't stand a chance!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Mentally Challenged said...

I was convinced before my couple of weeks absence that something like you
describe could be handled with one hand behind your back.

P.S.
I finally have most of that Newbie
Graphics #1
article posted at
FROM THE ASYLUM.

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries. Physiologists love vacations on the beach. They won't be motivated. They will want to go out on the cape.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Suzie Petunia said...

It sounds like we handle stressful situations in a similar manner. Correct me if I'm wrong: mild to moderate stress = great possibility of an overreaction. Extreeme stress = there's not much you can do but deal with it head-on. At any rate, I praise you for a great attitude.

BTW my brother has been at Berkeley for the last 6 years or so...have you been living in family student housing?

5:33 PM  
Blogger Davydgrey said...

Its quality vs. quantity in the main event for the lab monkey championship of the universe.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

They're doomed.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Moose said...

You can do it! You're good enough, smart enough, and dogonit, people like you.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Kick ass!

10:08 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

Your professor's faith in you is founded on good common sense as we all believe you will make them sorry they showed up.

10:42 PM  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

It never hurts to level the playing field!

I suggest some happy gas. Maybe some Amal Nitrate. Lets see the grad students work while on that stuff!

At the very least, it might make for some strange results.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

If anyone can do it, it is you. This is really your chance to shine. I am amazed at how calm you are and how well you handle situations like this one. (and I complain about the stress in my life :) I need to take lessons from you)

12:29 AM  
Blogger RT said...

That was a pretty crappy thing for them to do to you Vavoom, but again, I have no doubt that you will excel!

6:41 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Hey you can do it; I have faith.

What's that saying about too many cooks?

Kick some ass! We're all behind you.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home