Friday, June 24, 2005

A Call For Help.

Below is a letter I will be sending to Senators John Kerry and Ted Kennedy. I'm asking for your help. Please read the letter and provide me with feedback. I need to make sure this letter makes an impact. Yes, I'm dead serious about its content. Yes, I will insert my real name and my university's name in the real letter.

Dear Senator Kerry and Senator Kennedy,

My name is Vavoom. I am an incoming graduate student at Fancypants University. As an incoming constituent, I seek your help. I am an American Muslim. I am appalled at the lack of vocalization by my fellow Muslims about the horrible actions of Islamofacist terrorists. I wish to organize a large scale protest, attended by moderate Muslims and the like to condemn the efforts of Islamofacist terrorists worldwide.

In 1963, Martin Luther King Jr. and a group of 250,000 converged in Washington. Protesters filled the Lincoln Memorial and reached the Washington Monument. Their voice echoed the plight of African Americans and was heard worldwide. Through collective action, these brave men and women were able to create lasting change that has left a legacy of tolerance and understanding for this nation. I seek to call upon moderate Muslims to join me in protest against Islamofacism. The message would be clear – as moderate Muslims we would call upon our radical “brethren” to cease their actions immediately. Akin to a muezzin's call to prayer, we will marshal the efforts of Muslims everywhere to reclaim our faith.

This country and Islam are being challenged by a common enemy, one that denigrates the greatness of both. As someone who loves both the United States and Islam, it has been painful to witness the actions of Islamofacist terrorist factions. Moderate Muslims have a unique ability to help this country. We have a deep understanding of Islamic culture and the American way of life. Yet, we simply have no voice. On the television are images of “Muslims” beheading innocent men and women. Strangely enough, Americans may be led to believe that this is the way of Islam. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Moderate Muslims must be given the opportunity to show the world that we stand against Al Qaeda, Hamas and the like. We can demonstrate to the world that we are a peaceful force to be reckoned with. Only through such action can we end the cycle of violence that our nation has entered.

Absent such action, Al Qaeda will continue to believe that Muslims everywhere are behind them. Suddenly, they will realize that we all have family in the very countries that they seek refuge. Similarly, Muslims abroad will be emboldened to take a stand against radical Islamists.

You are in the unique position to help me in this endeavour. I am but one man. I need the help of conscientious political figures such as yourself. This is a wonderful opportunity to mobilize the millions of Muslims in this country and billions more worldwide. I understand the risks associated with organizing something of this magnitude. Most certainly, my life would be at risk. I am willing to risk my life to save my religion and my country, simultaneously. I beg you, please help me make this happen.

I arrive in Boston on August 1, 2005. I seek a meeting to discuss this opportunity with you and further elaborate how you can help me make this happen. I understand that you must receive thousands of e-mails a day. I also know that I am just one of millions that you represent. For a moment, please consider the impact such collective action would have.

Thank you for your time and thoughtful consideration.

Sincerely,

Vavoom

19 Comments:

Blogger Vavoom said...

By the way, I will send them this letter once a week, every week until they respond.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous little john said...

Yes. I like that. I hope you will keep us informed of your efforts.

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

Very nice, Vavoom. Good luck with it. I can tell that you have thought long and hard about this.

I am running out right now, but I'd lie to reread this and see if I can offer anything (that is, if you want). BTW, I linked.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

daniel: Thanks. Yes, I'd very much like your input.

4:41 PM  
Blogger mindful said...

A great letter, and a great idea! I suggest that you send it through the normal mail as well, though, as some congresspeople don't respond to emails. Good luck!

5:00 PM  
Blogger dreadcow said...

It's a great idea and a great letter. My only problem with it is my complete loathing of Kerry and Kennedy.

"I voted for it before I voted against it." What a sack of shit.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Raine said...

V: Such a beautiful, heartfelt letter. Very touching. I see 2 problems, however. First, a rally against terrorism was held in the capital on 5/14/2005. It was organized by a group, Free Muslims Against Terrorism. They had hoped to have 1,000 participate. Only 50 showed up. Second, the two senators would need to see how any participation in a protest would be useful to them. The chance that few people would participate is too risky for a politician. Also, the message would be more useful to Bush than these senators since they remind voters of the reality of Islamofascist terrorists and give a bit of credence to the Iraq War (whether it is warranted or not).

9:35 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Raine: Thanks for the suggestions. I'm aware of the rally that occured in May. I'm actually a member of that group. I have severe problems with how it was organized. There are reasons it was poorly attended. I have a plan that I believe is superior -- I'll elaborate later.

I'll start with the Senators and move on to the President, depending on the response I receive. I'll try and address a suitable motivation for why they should help. Thanks again!

9:39 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

What a great letter. One caution -if you send it weekly, it will become junk mail.

Instead, I would suggest some sort of event that would be held in an area of your choice. Be innovative; make sure the media is there, and then publicize your letter.

Good luck - you have all your blogger buds backing you up.

11:50 PM  
Blogger dahvid said...

re: "I am appalled at the lack of vocalization"

do add: "appalled AND deeply saddened"

could i also suggest replacing: "You are in the unique position to help me in this endeavour."
with:

"I wish to organize a large scale protest, attended by moderate Muslims and the like to condemn the efforts of Islamofacist terrorists worldwide."

(as to not give the impression that the senators are being used? just an opinion)

and "I beg you" with "I urge/implore you"?

good letter. good luck ;)

12:59 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Excellent! I love it.

1:02 AM  
Blogger FJ said...

Well worded and straight from the heart.

Good on you, Vavoom, for having a go, and I sincerely hope that they take notice of it and heed your concerns should a meeting be arranged.

Best of luck to you.

Sincerely, FJ.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

Great letter, I respect and admire you for doing this. I have to ask you with all you have going on right now at work, are you sure there are enough hours in the day to accomplish all of this?

12:22 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Teri: Remember, I'm an insomniac. As a result, I have plenty of time...

12:28 PM  
Blogger RT said...

From one insomniac to another, would it be OK for non-Muslims to show up for the gathering? I'm not, but I have a few friends (other than yourself) that are... Is it disrespectful to try and stand up for someone who can stand up for themselves?

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

Vavoom,

Sorry for taking so long to get back.

All in all, I think that this is a good letter. I do think that you will need to dicuss more details before you get real support. You're politics are different from mine, but I would be careful that your rally doesn't get hijacked by the people whose aid you seek. I have been involved in various rallies and protests in the past, and know that there are likely to be "elements" you would rather not ally yourself with.

Also, and I accept that this may get some adverse reaction, but I would also counsel that Americans, religious or not, are deeply skeptical about Muslim motives and will wonder what you're up to. To win people over, you will probably need to refrain from making any kind of parallel to other religions (Catholic abuse) or American abuses (Abu Ghraib). What many Americans are waiting for is an unequivocal expression of a Muslim defense of America. If you go back to September 11, you will find that the way in which many Muslim organizations reacted led many to question their loyalties. What Americans wanted was for groups like CAIR to come out and say, "Let's get the people who did this to us," not "This isn't the true Islam." That was mere rhetoric. Only the most bigotted among us were generalizing right after September 11, but the defensive reaction by Muslim groups actually (my opinion) contributed to suspicion. It's the whole "protesting too much" thing.

Action does indeed speak louder than words and this action on your part will speak volumes. I applaud your efforts and offer that if I can do anything to assist you (you can at least count on blogging) please let me know.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

if you want it read you have to fax it...

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vavoom,

what a great letter! If more people, took initiative like you, the world would be a better place!

good luck

9:48 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

I'd love to see this work out there, Vavoom. I do agree with Daniel that it'd be very easy for someone to turn the show of support into something different. "A number of irrate U.S. Muslims today converged on Capitol Hill." Very easy for someone to spin that the wrong way. But, maybe it would take more editorials in newspapers, a website or appearances on cable news to show people the good side of Islam.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home