Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Crap Bastard.

OK. I don't really rant here very often, but yesterday was a doozy. I had spent the entire day getting everything ready to do my experiment. One problem. Some guy, from another lab, was hoarding the equipment I needed to conduct my experiment. It wasn't until 9 pm, that I could get time on the instrument.

I came in the room. Told him his time was up. Before he left, I asked him, "Did you calibrate the instrument and replace the sheath fluid?" "Yes, don't bother with any of it. I took care of all of it."

So here I was, it's getting late. I'm ready to go. Again, the data starts pouring in and everything's going fine. Just then, everything stops. "Oh, crap" I thought. Guess what? That crap bastard lied. He didn't change the sheath fluid. As a result, my experiment was ruined and reams of air was now pumping into a $250,000 instrument. Not a good thing.

The time: Midnight. The situation: Critical. My temper: Never worse.

It took me three hours to take apart all of the stupid filters in that system (there were a total of 8 and they install them in the wierdest places) and purge all of the air out of the system. By the time I finished everything was back to normal. While I walked back to my car, in the middle of the crappy industrial area I work in, I kept thinking "Man, I'm gonna kill that kid. That stupid crap bastard!"

When I got in this morning, I overheard somebody say, "Hey, it's amazing. That instrument is working better than ever. " They continued to say that it must have been the crap bastard that tuned the system up. It couldn't have been me, the new guy. Next time I see that crap bastard I'm gonna hammer him. Trust me, he deserves it.

11 Comments:

Blogger Vavoom said...

OK, I've cooled down and discussed the situation with the crap bastard. He admitted he lied. I explained that he could have caused serious damage to an expensive instrument *and* he caused a very long painful evening for me.

Still, he's a crap bastard.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Hulabelly said...

Doth the general pulic know that the crap bastard lied and that it was your stunning genius that fixed the instrument?

1:40 PM  
Blogger mindful said...

I hope he learned his lesson. Way to go in handling it calmly, vavoom.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Lady of the House said...

Don't let CB take the credit for "magically" fixing that instrument. I hated it when others would get credit for something I had done in lab (I was formerly doubling in Math and Physics and tinkering around in Chem). Shock the world by proving that the new guy can have brains too.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Xenia said...

I am proud of you for not only taking the higher road and not being mean or nasty, but also that you addressed CB for being such a jerk. Hopefully he will be respectful of your behavior towards you and your treatment by your coworkers will start to get better. Best of luck in the new situation

5:02 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Wow that is a crap bastard. You handled it much better than I would have.

Did he admit he lied to everyone or just to you?

5:26 PM  
Blogger Davydgrey said...

Damn Vavoom, you should write a book. You could entitle it, "The Trials and Tribulations of Working in a Boston Lab with a Bunch of Crap Bastards."

6:00 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Sure he admited it once confronted, but did he apologize?

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a very good and kind person. I would have pour a big bucket of poop over his head, or maybe not.

8:21 PM  
Blogger FantasticAlice said...

You just let me know if I need to kick some serious scientist butt.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Rattie said...

The Crap Bastard may have been a scientist but he was also an idiot. Good for you on handling it diplomatically.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home