Sunday, June 05, 2005

Musical Roundtable.

Okay, this is what I've got cookin' in my CD player:



During my college radio days a disc jockey said, "Laura Love is the most amazing musician you've never heard of." How right he was. Hailing from Seattle, Washington, Laura Love combines funky bluegrass with Celtic and African influences to create music that is simply magnificent. The Laura Love Collection is a fantastic way to introduce yourself to this soulful singer. I guarantee -- if you love music, you'll love this CD.




Recorded February 3, 1966, Adam's Apple is one of the finest albums Wayne Shorter ever headlined. Shorter plays tenor sax, along with Herbie Hancock on Piano, Reginald Workman on Bass and Joe Chambers on drums. Yes, this is a very impressive lineup. If you aren't a jazz enthusiast, that's okay. You still should check out this CD. Listen to track 4, Footprints. It's absolutely amazing.




Algerian rock? What? Yup, you read it right. Rachid Taha is an amazing Algerian musician and this CD should not be passed up. In Tekitoi, Taha successfully mixes eastern and western music that will satisfy connoisseurs of both genres. He does an incredible cover of The Clash's Rock El Casbah.




Finally, I've been in a very pensive mood these days. Damien Rice's O is an incredibly powerful CD that I listen to quite frequently. It's hard to put my finger on why I love this CD so much. Perhaps the following lyrics from the song Cannonball can help explain why this CD is so fantastic:


Stones, taught me to fly

Love, taught me to lie
Life, taught me to die

So it's not hard to fall

When you float like a cannonball.


Alright. Now it's your turn. What are you listening to? C'mon, speak up. I love hearing about the tunes you're tapping your foot to.

20 Comments:

Anonymous tomw said...

For breakfast today it was Mark Knopfler "Sailing To Philadelphia" and John Hiatt "Crossing Muddy Waters". For dinner we might amp it up a bit, but what I don't know. Linda Love sounds good, I'll have to check that out.

3:40 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

Oasis' Don't Believe The Truth, Bryan Adams' Room Service, Men Without Hats' Pop Goes The World and Psychic TV's Godstar: The Singles Part 2 are all in rotation on my car's stereo. Joining them on Tuesday will be Coldplay's X & Y.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Moose said...

Thanks for the tips. I'll see what I can get ahold of to give 'em a listen.
As requested, in the 5 disk right now:
Temple of the Dog: Temple of the Dog
System of a Down: Mezmerize
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
Glen Miller: Unforgettable
Chris Cornell: Euphoria Morning

4:27 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Yipes...Mahler, symphony no. 1.

Sadly, I am fairly uninformed in non-classical music! But I am learning.

5:16 PM  
Blogger mindful said...

Bebo Valdes for me, Veinte Anos. His CD with Cigala was also really good.

Barbara: I hear you! The San Francisco Symphony's recording of Mahler's sixth Symphony is absolutely fantastic.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

I enjoy Damien Rice's O as well, very good album.
I gave a listen to Rachid Taha, I enjoyed what I heard. Unfortunately Rhapsody doesn't yet have his latest album available so I could listed to his Clash cover. I did however add him to my playlist.

Today I've listened to:

*REO Speedwagon
*Adam Ant (album "Wonderful"- different from his 80s stuff)
*Rachael Yamagata
*Ivy
*Fenrik Lane / Kurt Nilsen (if Bono and Simon LeBon had a lovechild it would be Kurt)

6:26 PM  
Blogger A Fashionista said...

Hi Vavoom
Today I listened to Muddy Waters
then System of A Down then Franz Ferdinand.
Howz that for diverse?

7:39 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Be careful what you ask for,
Vavoom.

Here is my odd playlist today:

Niagara, Niagara Soundtrack
Liz Phair-whitechocolatespaceegg
Supertramp-Breakfast in America
Donna Summer-Bad Girls
Ozark Mtn Daredevils-It's Alive

8:46 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Lily: What's the best music store in Boston?

10:58 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

tomw: thc has taken a listen to Laura Love last time he and Merry were over to our place. Chances are you two have similar music tastes. He really liked it. I'm burning the CD for he and Merry now. I'll do one for you. Next time they're in your neck of the woods I'll have him give you the CD. Note: This is a legal exchange. Friend to friend. No money changing hands here.

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Mrs THC said...

We're not listening to anything, said to say. THC has declared that we're going to reduce our electricity consumption by 20%, so the musical components sit idle. Just the glow of two computers as we blog away....

11:40 PM  
Blogger Hamel said...

I'm a bit eclectic in my tastes, but here goes:

* Krokus - Greatest Hits
* Foreigner - Greatest Hits
* Paste Magazine Sampler #4
* Mark O'Connor's most recent piece, the title escapes me but it's classical meets bluegrass. If you love fiddle and violin playing, it doesn't get much better than Mark O'Connor.

6:24 AM  
Blogger FJ said...

No CDs in computer at present, just a mixture of music played randomly on Media Player.

Last 5 songs played:

Summer Rain - Belinda Carlisle.
World Where You Live - Crowded House.
The Kids Are Alright - The Who.
Lough Erin Shore - The Corrs.
Something So Strong - Crowded House.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Nigela said...

At the restaurant where I work, we play about 10 CDs from the Putumayo world music collection--they're all quite good.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous little john said...

1)Toots and the Maytals-Funky Kingston
2)Yo La Tengo-Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out
3)Culture-Two Sevens Clash
4)Mike Watt-The Secondman's Last Stand
5)Miles Davis-Bitches Brew

1:14 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Vavoom,

I quite honestly don't know. I generally order through Amazon these days. However in my teen years I would by my music at "Newbury Comics" in The Garage in Harvard Square. 36 JFK St.

They always had an interesting mix of music, comics, T-shirts, sheet music and other fun junk. You can check out their website newburycomics.com.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

I always have a Beatles CD near by, They are my favorite group and I never get tired of them, no matter how many times I have heard the song. The one playing in my car right now is Lennon Legend.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Not listening to any CDs at the moment. Damien Rice's O depresses me all the time and yet I listen to it the most. Heh.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Danilo da Silva said...

hmmm, I've been listening to Ben Folds for the past few days. I had never quite listened to this band and now I got a whole bunch of albums I'm going through them. They are very good, I'm liking them.

But in a few days I will go back to my eletronica, ambient, trance

8:30 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

I love Laura Love! In my car cd player I have a funny mix - Missy Elliot, Sinead O'Connor, Michael Jackson, Dave Matthews and Ani Difranco!

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home