Sunday, June 26, 2005

Musical Roundtable.

What's cookin' in Vavoom's CD player, you ask? Here goes:


The Specials -- The Singles Collection. I'm not the biggest fan of ska, but this CD is, well, special. I listened to it in high school and it still brings me back to the days of pimples, rejection and social injustice. Ahh, high school!


Jerry Gonzalez -- Y Las Piratas De Flamenco. Gonzalez is absolutely incredible on the trumpet in this album. He has an amazing way of comingling jazz and Spanish influences. It's a laid back CD, one well worth your time.


George Jones -- Cup of Loneliness. If you've never taken the time out to listen to George Jones, this is the way to go. This two CD set comprises Jones' recordings on the Mercury label. If you pick this album up, be sure to listen to "Tall Tall Trees." Yeeeehaww!


Dvorak -- The Symphonies. This 6 CD collection consists of Dvorak symphonies performed by the London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Istvan Kertesz. Listen, I'm not an expert in classical music. Still, I love Dvorak and this box set is absolutely amazing.

OK. Now it's your turn. Let me know what you're listening to. I absolutely love to hear about your musical interests. C'mon, this'll be fun... participate damn you!

14 Comments:

Blogger Moose said...

You asked...
Hum- So you'd prefer and astronaut
Alice in Chains- Jar of flies
Thievery Corporation-Outernational Sounds
Brad Paisley- Mud on the tires
Bush- Sixteen Stone

7:03 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

I'm impressed with your George Jones and Specials (I love "Ghost Town" the most.

I keep a lot of the same stuff in the car and rotate here and there but the most recent acquisitions:

Daryl Hall's Three Hears In The Happy Ending Machine circa 1986 (had the hit "Dreamtime" on it.)

The Vanity Project's self-titled debut album which is a collaboration between Barenaked Ladies frontman Steven Page and Stephen Duffy (original Duran Duran vocalist, solo artist who had a hit with "Kiss Me" as Tin Tin and founding member of the Lilac Time.)

8:34 PM  
Blogger RT said...

I've been on a Genesis kick for the last few days or so. I'm not sure why, but I think it was because I wanted to hear Home by the Sea and well, once you hear one...

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Mrs THC said...

Wow! What variety!!!

I must admit, I grew up on George Jones. I know those "Tall, tall trees" very well.

10:08 PM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

The Specials! I love ska. I have been very guilty of channel surfing on Sirius lately, but I've been rotating a couple of CD's - Duran Duran's "Astronaut" and Third Eye Blind's "Out of the Vein".

12:01 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

I have been burned out on my cd's lately and have been listening to the radio quite a bit. I think it is time to buy some new cd's. Right now I have Don Mclean, American Pie in my CD player.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Raine said...

Um...

Green Day-American Idiot; Iz-Facing Future; Mormon Tabernacle Choir-America's Choir; Hilary Hahn-Beethoven Violin Concerto-Bernstein Serenade

12:17 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

For the last three day's or so...

-Audioslave - Audioslave
-Portishead - Dummy
-Beatles - The Beatles 1

Yes, oh yes.

1:32 AM  
Blogger FJ said...

I am currently rotating:

Split Enz - History Never Repeats.

The Finn Brothers - Everyone Is Here.

and

Crowded House - Woodface, Together Alone and Recurring Dream.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

I'm doing the Springsteen thing these days. I picked up Tracks, which is a set of four CD's comprised of stuff that I've never heard.

It's awesome.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I love George Jones! He stopped loving her today, one of my favorite songs.

Right now I am listening to Relient K MmHmm at work (although some days it is Phantom Planet the Guest or Our Lady Peace Gravity), Dave Matthews Band Busted Stuff, the Cardigans Grand Tourismo, and Chris Isaac San Fransisco Days at home, and The Ramones Their Loudest Hits in the car.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous little john said...

Belle & Sebastian-Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Jimi Hendrix-Live at Winterland
X-Under the Big Black Sun
Tricky-Maxinquaye
Dylan-John Wesley Harding

12:48 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

I've been into the old country stuff lately:

Sweethearts of the Rodeo - One Time One Night

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road

Bellamy Brothers - Greatest Hits

4:06 PM  
Blogger Rattie said...

George Jones?! **shudder** Too depressing for me. Right now I'm listening to U2 "Vertigo" (I know, not too original), Sarah Brightman's "Time to Say Goodbye", and Marilyn Manson's Greatest Hits (no comments please).

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home