Monday, July 25, 2005

Cold Cream.

I'm gargling every night with a full cup of Listerine. Why? Well, I'm not one to waste and we can't bring items like that across the country. This has caused a very interesting evening routine for me. Here goes:

1) Shower. We purchased an enormous vat of shampoo and conditioner from Costco. The conditioner bottle is busted and can't be re-closed. Despite my balding disposition, I'm now using a palm full of this waxy crap on my hair. Never before has by bald spot shined so brightly.

2) After-shower prep. I was received 10 small bottles of shaving cream (one of the perks of hanging around college campuses is the "trial" size give away). Now I'm shaving with about 3 times the amount of shaving cream that I normally would. This new brand sucks, making this all the more difficult.

3) Yet another "give away" was a bunch of cold cream packets. Look away, dear reader, if you are easily frightened. Yes, I tried it. Not bad. Not bad at all. My skin was clean, moisturized, but not greasy in the least. Who'd have thought cold cream would go so well with my skin?

4) Teeth. My choppers have been given the royal treatment with some crazy whitening toothpaste I got for free on campus. I've got 15 tubes of this crap. I'm not sure if it actually whitens, but remember -- waste not want not. All the tiny "free sample" floss containers are also being consumed. I don't care how much my gums bleed. That floss is going to be used, darn it!

5) Breath. I can't tell you why they made Listerine such a painful elixir. I wish I could bear down on a leather strap while using it. Remember, I'm gargling here. Leather straps just won't work. Still, none of it's going down the sink without being used.

How are you guys about this sort of thing? I can't stand throwing something out without knowing that I've used it. Are you as nuts as I am? Please tell me I have some company in insanityville.

18 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Listerine, blecch! Keep some parsley in your fridge & eat some when you have bad breath. Works much better.

12:04 PM  
Blogger techymike said...

Actually, I'm probably the opposite. I usually buy something, and it sits around well past the expiration date until I decide to throw it out. Does that make me a bad person, or merely a bad shopper?
-Mike

12:44 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I would probably either take it across the country with me or throw it away.
Especially the stuff I got for free. If you are using more than you need you are wasting it anyway, so why not just use it like normal then throw it away before you leave?

1:35 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Ummm... Why not just take what you don't need down to the nearest homeless shelter? :o)

2:05 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

In the past, we've just moved it with us and slowly depleted our stockpile. I think RT has a great point; if a shelter needs some of this stuff, why not? (At least the homeless will have white teeth!)

2:36 PM  
Blogger RT said...

OK. I said it, but I wasn't exactly sure of what they would accept so I asked my Uncle (who works at the food bank) and he says that they will even take opened items and divvy them up for those in need.

(A good bit of info for myself, as well. Like Techymike, I have a lot of stuff that I buy and for some reason or another, it doesn't work out for me... I'm going to box it up right now!)

3:11 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

RT: You rock! I've packed everything for the shelter and I'm headed there now. Well, I didn't pack the cold cream. Damn, that stuff really works!

4:03 PM  
Blogger irishkeough said...

Did you pack up any math books and reminisce about the times you had with your good friend irishkeough who would be so kind as to buy books for you when you lose them?

4:27 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

irish: Don't worry! I'm on it!

4:49 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Whew! I'm glad you liked that idea, 'cause the only other one I had was to pour all the bathroom contents out on a wood or linoleum floor and have a skate-a-thon...

4:59 PM  
Blogger Davydgrey said...

Vavoom, hey all those chemicals in the bathroom prducts could be combined and you could make some cool stuff, rocket fuel from a couple of household cleaners, or homemade soap, or or or... I don't know, you are the chem pro...

6:38 PM  
Blogger Moose said...

I'm glad to hear that everything was put to good use. As for the cold cream...

7:54 PM  
Blogger A Fashionista said...

NERD ALERT!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

I wear my nerd badge proudly, Val.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I "throw" EVERYTHING away. I get it from my Mom. I quote throw because technically I send everything off to the Goodwill and/or shelter. I leave bags ALL the time by the door and my mom's boyfriend knows what they're for. So yeah, I'm sure you felt better about knowing it didn't go to waste.

You are a DORK. But I love dorks. It's actually a pre-requisite to being my friend.

1:24 AM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

This does remind me that I do tend to hoard weird items that I start to use but it sits there forever. I have about 7 shampoo bottles in the shower. I try to mix them up now so none of them get jealous. I may have to send a few of them to a good home.

Vavoom - Ok, you are going to have to explain your application of the cold cream. hahaha

11:18 AM  
Blogger European said...

Throwing stuff out is so freeing! It's also a recent thing for me.
Have you considered giving some of the stuff away?

12:18 PM  
Anonymous HK gal said...

hmmm. looks like i'm the only one as psycho as you. I definitely relate! Everything I cooked from Feb-May was full of spices/sauces I was trying to use up. I was too lazy to drop them off at a food drive.

So glad to hear you happily bid farewell to your old life and are happy in Boston.

BTW, I'm back! almost back in the country and back online. Had a blast this summer. Time to go catch another flight on this 30+ hr journey of mine!

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home