Monday, July 04, 2005

Happy Birthday, Mom.


Today is indeed the greatest day of the year. When I was young, I didn't realize the implications of Independence Day since my mother's birthday occurs on the same day. My earliest memory is of spending the 4th of July, eating cake in my mother's lap and watching the fireworks in the nighttime sky.

"Wow, Momma, they do all of these fireworks for you on your birthday?" She would chuckle and say, "No, they're all for you and the rest of the little boys and girls in this country."

My Mother is a remarkable person. She was born in extreme poverty, she worked hard and was the top of her class. She was the most beautiful woman in her village and, given her smarts and good looks, she married a professional cricket player -- my Father.

My Mother is the paragon of industry. Her willpower and determination are unlike anything I've ever seen. Whenever the chips were down, that's when she'd decide to roll up her sleeves and make things happen. We used to joke around and say she was a "fist with eyes." When she was pregnant with me, we were poor. She worked as a nurse, on her feet for 18 hour shifts, for the entire nine months. Indeed, she is the strongest person I have ever met.

Her tenacious spirit never got in the way of her compassion and love for her family. No one can hug me like my mother. No one is more supportive of me when times are tough. I was in the depths of depression and my mother told me the following story:

When my Mother was young, her family had nothing. They were peasants in a third world country. My Mother was involved in an terrible accident and, seeing that she had no money, she couldn't get medical help. She was bleeding to death and looked up at my Grandmother and said, "Mother, I'm dying. It hurts so much, I'm not going to make it." The situation was grave. My Grandmother looked at my Mother and said, "No you're not. Not today. God never gives people more pain than they can handle." My Mother walked for miles, bleeding to death, to find a doctor that would finally help them for the small amount of money they had.

My Mother always finishes that story by reminding me that, "Anything is possible, Vavoom. As long as you are determined enough, anything is possible."

Even now, my Mother's enduring spirit remains. Her health is faltering, yet you would never notice. Her knee is giving out and she has difficulty walking. "Mom, why don't you get disabled placards for the car and go on disability at work?" Her only response is, "Those placards and that program are for people that have severe health problems. As long as I can stand, I can work."

Tonight, when I look into the night sky, I will see fireworks. In my mind, all of them are for her.

Happy Birthday, Momma.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Daniel said...

Yes,

Happy Birthday.

And Happy 4th, Vavoom.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Mentally Challenged said...

I am also wishing your Mom a
happy birthday!! Your post
reveals that she is a very remarkable lady. You are a very
fortunate person to have a
mom like that.

4:04 PM  
Blogger dahvid said...

i'm reminded of mine too. i hope i can make her proud of me.

btw, my mum's a nurse and i think nurses are made to be emotionally strong. :P

11:33 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

This post hit me... almost got me weepy. Happy birthday Momma Vavoom!

12:31 AM  
Blogger Rat said...

Wow. That was very touching. Thanks for sharing it.

12:34 AM  
Blogger RT said...

Happy Belated Birthday Vavoom's Mom!

That was a great account of courage and endurance, and I did get weepy eyed reading it. But I feel the need to tell you Vavoom, her strength was already evident, because it shines through so clearly in you.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What a wonderful and touching story.
Happy 4th of July and Happy Birthday momma.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Rattie said...

An incredible woman! Wonderful story Vavoom.

6:11 PM  
Blogger dusty said...

wow wee..fantastic homage to your mom..your a good son Vavoom..and a good person i might add..

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home