Saturday, July 23, 2005

A Letter From My Dad.

Dear Vavoom,

When last we spoke, I heard the uncertainty in your voice. It seems that this move has you concerned about your future. All of that is normal. You have lived in Berkeley for some time and naturally grown comfortable. For a moment, I'd like you to relax and think about the limitless possibilities that exist for you on the East Coast. Imagine all the new friends you will make and new things you will learn.

Your mother and I moved to this country in 1971. We had three children and fifty dollars in our pocket. Needless to say, I had my fair share of concerns. It was a big move to a new country, holding the promise of a better life. Would we make it? We had just fifty dollars and three mouths to feed. Indeed, the thought was frightening. Looking back, I can't say that any of that fear was misplaced. Again, it was normal.

Look at our family now. We made it.

Enclosed is a check for fifty dollars. With this fifty dollars, your mother and I made a life in this country. Every time you feel fear, remind yourself of these fifty dollars. Remind yourself that hard work and a positive outlook can turn a pittance into a fortune in this country. These fifty dollars represent our family's legacy of diligence, sacrifice and strength. They will be with you always.

This move is just one of many adventures ahead. I know you'll make it. We are all behind you. We are all proud of you.

Love,
Dad

10 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Your dad is awesome! This post gave me chills :)

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Raine said...

Amen, Dad!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

You have a very special father.

He's absolutely right. Everytime I moved, the actual move was the worst part. However, once I got to my new destination, a new adventure began.

Good luck.

2:40 PM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

Your Dad gives great advice. This is the perfect letter to a son who is about to embark on a great adventure. I hope it helps the trepidation you're feeling.

4:58 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

That is so f**kin' cool! (Placing dollar in jar.) I see where you get your writing skills. He conveys what he feels concisely and smoothly. You are going to further yourself and make your family proud, Vavoom.

6:06 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Man. You Dad is so cool! That letter actually brought tears to my eyes... For several different reasons.

The world can be a scary place, Vavoom, no doubt about that. But it doesn't seem quite so bad when you have such a loving and supportive "home".

8:49 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

What a sweet note! It sounds like you have a very special father.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Moose said...

Sounds like your dad is a smart guy. You should probably listen to him.

9:57 PM  
Blogger FJ said...

Awww, your Dad is one smart man.
Remember what he said, Vavoom, it's sound advice!

...FJ.

12:19 AM  
Blogger glblztn said...

Yo, thank your dad for his letter. I had a good dad that died when I was nineteen. I would give anything to get a letter from him like yours. Wrap the fifty bucks inside of the letter ... its worth a million bucks.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home