Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Optimist.

Color me optimistic, but I've always believed that people are fundamentally good. Yes, hope springs eternal in my mind -- I truly believe that I'll eventually find a working environment where people are decent to one another, a place where politics and greed don't abound.

I had originally started in science, firmly believing that it was a noble undertaking. How could it not be? It is the search for truth in an environment of learners and teachers. Of course, I've learned that a considerable amount of science is conducted in the harshest of political arenas -- academia.

I've only worked in one company my entire life. There the social milieu was not unlike the academic one. Given my limited experience, I can only surmise that the political ferocity that I observe in academia is present in every job.

The last few days, I've been rather pensive. I'd like to spend my life in service of others, absent all of the nonesense that accompanies human organizations. I haven't figured out what that magical job is, but I'm optimistic I'll figure it out.

7 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

I have found the only way to avoid office politics is either to never speak to another living soul in the office, or be friendly with everyone.

Its funny because I too thought scientists would be above such things, but we're not...academia is the worst.

I watched the History of Evolution the other night and that just reinforced my opinion that politics is almost more important in academia than real science.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

It took me 23 years to figure it out.

However long it takes, live it up every step of the way. I have no regrets taking the path I did; I would do it all over again with no hesitation.

You've started along the right path; I'm sure the right fork will be there for you at the right time.

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now work in a relatively young start up and I am having a load of fun. There's surprisingly almost no politics. But we're growing fast, so it might be inevitable. Well, I'll just enjoy myself while it lasts. : )

7:43 PM  
Blogger Raine said...

Let me know when you figure it out. Some days I wouldn't mind a change in jobs either. Tough to escape the politics working for Uncle Sam.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

You're outlook on things is refreshing.

Vavoom, you totally rock!

5:55 AM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

One direction that can't lead you astray would be writing a book. Your experiences are worth hearing over and over as well as your creative insight. And when you are the one dictating the direction of your words, you can only let yourself down. You can also benefit the little people. No, I don't mean leprechauns.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Lady of the House said...

I'm hoping to find that magical job too. I thought that changing majors to one I'm passionate about would make the search a lot easier. Instead it opened a floodgate of possibilities I had never considered, leaving me even more lost than before.

Good luck on all your endeavors. Make sure you tell us once you find your rightful place in the job world :)

2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home