Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Transporting My Sidekick.

Plenty of people dislike cats. They'll kick at them, throw rocks at them, typical human behavior. I'm not one of those people. Since I was young I've loved all animals. 12 years ago I picked up a kitten with gray hair and bright green eyes. He's been my sidekick over the years. Those of you that know me personally, know how important the cat is to me.

Bringing a pet across country is a bit tricky. To minimize the stress on him, we decided not to drive across country. We'd bring him on the plane with us, as a carry on item. To do so, we needed to get a rabies certificate along with a bill of health from our vet. Also, we decided to tranquilize him during the journey.

Before our trip, the vet suggested we do a test run. A couple days before we left, we tranquilized the cat and put him in the cat carrier. Immediately we thought, "Great! This is going to work perfectly!" Think again. After about two hours my beloved cat spilled his feces all over the inside of the carrier. Cleaning him and the carrier was loads of fun, I tell you.

On gameday, we gave him a small amount of food, water, insulin (yes, he's diabetic) and his tranquilizer. This time, everything was perfect. He fell right asleep and handled the first flight in Olympian fashion. (Fancypants University wouldn't agree to put us on a direct flight -- cheap bastards!)

Our layover was in Phoenix. Again, my noble steed lay dormant in his carrier. We decided to get something to eat and that's when the trouble started. I set the cat carrier down on the chair next to me on a four person table. There was no way I was going to leave him on the floor where people have been kicking at our bags for the past twenty minutes. We began our meal and suddenly this strange man showed up. Despite the plethora of empty tables all around us, he decided to throw his very heavy bag on one of our chairs, sit down and eat.

Remember, I said this was a table for four. I've mentioned that myself, my wife, my cat, the man and his bag each resided on a chair. Hmmm. That's five things. Four seats. Guess what chair he decided to throw his heavy bag on? Yup, on my cat.

The cat woke up immediately and squealed. I sprung up and threw the man's bag off. "What is wrong with you," I yelled, "There's an animal in there!" The man looked down at the carrier. The cat was in a frenzy, meowing left and right. He looked at me, smiled and said nothing. "Aren't you even going to apologize," I continued, "You could have seriously hurt him." The man shook his head no, then started snickering. I clenched my fists. It was the first time, in a long time, that I was fully ready to deck someone. Every second he sat silently my rage grew. I slowly started his way and felt my wife's gentle touch on my arm. "Relax, Vavoom," I heard her say, "The cat will be okay. This guy's a jerk. Let it go."

Suddenly this strange man raised both hands in the air over his food and started reciting a prayer. He collapsed both hands together and begun praying while rocking himself. "You've got to be kidding me," I said, "You're religious and you won't even apologize for hurting an animal? Who are you praying to -- Satan?"

We garnered our things and walked away. "Such hypocrisy," I said. As we walked through the terminal, I realized that I was about to clean that guy's clock for a simple mistake. Here I am claiming to be a peaceful Muslim and I was about to thrash him. Looks like he wasn't the only one behaving hypocritically in that situation.

Have you ever experienced religious hypocrisy firsthand?

By the way, the cat made it through the trip without further incident. He seems to really dig the new apartment.

18 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Everyday. Just to give an example, I often get on my soap box about ministers such as Jimmy Swaggert (cheating on his wife while asking the nation to support his cause) and then it hit me, I have been living with a person I am not married to, which is basically the same thing in the eyes of the church.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Me too. Hell, I live in the Bible Belt. When I first moved here from Boston I was amazed to see a church on every corner and across the street from a brothel.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

I don't know V, I get the sense this "religious" man was baiting you.

5:51 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

I get the same feeling, Lily. I see religious hypocrisy constantly at work. We have a faction of "born agains" that are always trying to spur conversation about the New Testament and get people together for a bible study (they do that at lunch.) At the same time: they will take calls out of time order for a better chance at more money, snicker at the Mormons and show favoritism as a supervisor towards those of the same faith in money matters.

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I stopped by...good post.
==
Learn about signs of prostate cancer

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Envisioning RSS as a Web 2.0 platform
RSS began its life as a really simple way for content providers to syndicate their content and for content consumers to subscribe to their favorite providers.
I'm a "virtual offices Guy" from virtual offices site.

6:41 PM  
Blogger glblztn said...

You can only worry about yourself, not the "jerk". No one is perfect ... in the name of rightous indignation we all do some pretty mean things ... forgive yourself, try to do better next time. The fact that you realized that your own behavior was not ok, is better than most people would do.

Have a good one.

6:45 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Ummm... Yep. I've experienced religious hypocrisy firsthand. And I probably did my fair share of dishing it out when I was younger.

But you know what, religion really does set you up to be a hypocrite. I mean, who can be as perfect as religion teaches us we should be? But, if you preach it and screw up on practicing it...

Should I mention the guilt factor?

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do You Like Software?... You're Going To LOVE This Site. Visit this Free Ebooks Site!

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you get the time to do all this:-)

Visit me here cheesecake factory recipeif you wish

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Blogosphere Offers More Advertising Reach
Email this article... Print this article... by Alexandra DeFelice A new report by comScore, "Behaviors of the Blogosphere: Understanding the Scale, Composition, and Activities of Weblog Audiences," found that ...
Wow! I like your blog! I be back and so will my friends. Looks like you've found your niche.

I have a new patch technology site.

Come and take a look when you get time.

7:31 PM  
Blogger A Fashionista said...

"Who are you praying to Satan?"
FOFLMAO! LOL! LOL! You are killing me! LMAO! Are you sure he didn't have a tamborine and daisies??????Who prays like that. I've seen it all but not like that. Maybe he was just a religious manic depressive off his medication on one of his manic tangents. LOL LOL
BTW, I recently saw a Muslim w/carpet at my bus terminal on my way home from work. Boy seeing something like that sure makes Chicagoans a little jumpy. Being a Protestant my mom always told me that that's the way we should all be praying. So I guess it's o.k. It sure is different when you've not seen it your entire life and all of a sudden twice in one year by two different people, right in the middle of the metro area.
Poor kitty. Did you let kitty listen to some Hendrix while it was high? It's the least you could have done. LOL LOL

8:01 PM  
Blogger Raine said...

"Suddenly this strange man raised both hands in the air over his food and started reciting a prayer."

I don't know what religion he belongs to, but it reeks of praying for public show to be heard of men and not God. This is also hypocrisy, and it is found amongst believers and, in different ways, by atheists.

3:45 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

I used to be a member of the vestry at our church. Talk about the most un-churchy behavior I've ever seen; these people would stab me in the back if I looked the other way.

There were fights over finances, fights over new services, fights over groundskeeping, etc. There was gossiping and tall tales being told. There were petty fights and flat-out lies being hurled about on a daily basis.

It was the utmost in religious hypocrisy.

I left that church - I simply couldn't take it anymore.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Hulabelly said...

I find most people who ostentatiously pray before eating in public are huge scrotum heads who need to be thrown off a cliff for being asses to the rest of society. I feel irritated FOR you and your poor cat, and if I were there, i would have thrown the guy's food in his lap and beaten him down for you so you would not have to sacrifice your peaceful ways.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Rattie said...

Your poor cat!! But glad to hear he's okay now.

I experienced religious hypocrisy everyday while growing up in the Roman Catholic Church (even went to a RC school); hence why I left the church.

8:01 PM  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

If some ass threw a heavty bag over my cat, I would have thrown down. No question about it.

Even if the guy just put his heavy stuff on my stuff I would have blown a fuse. What is that all about? What if I have fragile things in there?

The praying would have guranteed that the police had to be called in. Hey jerk face! Pray I do not do this to you (spill soda all over guys head)

Tolerance is a two way street.

9:32 PM  
Blogger dreadcow said...

I personally believe all religion is hypocrisy.

And I stop being insulting... NOW. lol

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home