Wednesday, September 14, 2005

As Promised.

I didn't sleep well last night. I tossed and turned, wondering how I'd respond to last night's beating. Would I stay? Would I exact revenge? Would I start playing politics with my labmates? "I'm going to teach them a lesson they'll never forget," I thought.

At about 3 AM, I walked out onto our balcony. It was a cool evening. I was confused and angry. How should I respond? Maybe I could take the day off? Yes, I'll disappear for a day.

Then it donned on me -- I will do exactly as I have been doing. I will come to work early, I will leave late. I will work hard. Leaving Fancypants University is a preposterous notion, one not worth entertaining further. Exacting revenge is immature and puts me at the level of the insecure people I work with. I refuse to play politics. If I did, I would become like the people that came after me last night. That's not for me.

Besides, scores have lost their homes and many have died as a result of torrential flooding in New Orleans. Soldiers in Iraq are fighting and dying. Yes, people in third world nations are starving. I think my little run in last night pales in comparison to all of that. Am I so self centered that all I can care about is a stupid talk? Of course not.

So here I stand. As promised to me last night, tomorrow (today) is another day. I'm going to make it a good and productive one.

10 Comments:

Blogger An80sNut said...

I wish I could have cohesive thoughts that early in the morning. B) Staying the course is the best bet.

7:26 AM  
Blogger dreadcow said...

Good call amigo.

As we say in the Army, "suck it up and drive on."

7:30 AM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

I hope today is a fantastic new day. When you write your memoirs someday - yesterday will give you a nice chuckle, as you will have succeeded where those others did not.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

That is the Vavoom I know :) You have an amazing way of putting things into perspective.

8:20 AM  
Blogger The Disgruntled Chemist said...

I'm glad to see that the jealousy of your labmates couldn't keep you down for long. I know how it feels having to remind yourself sometimes that you really do love science. Good luck with the rest of your time in that research group - may your good productivity bring you their respect and not their ire.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Good for you Vavoom. I think you made the right decision by taking the high road and not changing who you are.
I have been in a similiar situation and I too didn't play that game. It wasn't what they expected and it blew over.
Hang in there Vavoom.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Sister Vavoom said...

I couldn't agree with you more. It is difficult to take the high road, but there you will find honor and strength of character. I find it so difficult to understand how people enjoy being cruel and underhanded. Unfortunately, you are in a vicious group- I think it best that you stay on your guard and be as best prepared for these situations. Keep your cool-never let anyone see that you are upset because that brings them joy. You are so intelligent and articulate- no one can take that from you. Don't let anyone beat you down or take away your self confidence.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Well done, Vavoom. You're at the top of your game - they'll see it soon enough.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Davydgrey said...

Wow miss a couple of days and miss the whole gang warfare post series. The only thing I have to say to you Vavoom is view it as a street fight kind of like Swayze in Roadhouse. It took 4 of them plus 3 ringers to take you down.

I have a better solution for you since you will be attacked again when the wheel spins your way again. Keep on acting like you don't care. They bring in experts, great, use the opportunity to pick their brains on what you are doing. Flaunt your knowledge, ignore their sophomoric jibes. You remind me of Tesla and the torture he went through.

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Raine said...

Yes, like dreadcow said, "suck it up and drive on." Keep your emotions in check, keep your head on straight, and do the work that you need to do.

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home