Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Comedian.

Graduate student orientation begins today. It's a one week affair. Safety training, ice cream socials and fancy dinners await the incoming graduate students. Actually, Fancypants University does a pretty bang up job of making students feel welcome.

The one part of orientation I hate -- introductions. Here's where you stand up in front of the faculty and other students and tell them who you are, where you're from and what you're about.

Everytime I go to one of these events, people always have clever things to say when they introduce themselves. Not me. I usually end up saying something like, "Yeah, umm... Hi, I'm Vavoom, ummm... erh, I'm glad to, ummm... be here and yeah."

There's always one guy/gal that's an absolute riot, a true comedian. It's as if they practiced some zingers to deliver to the crowd. I'm thinking about starting off with something like, "As a graduate student, I'll tell you, I get no respect, no respect at all..."

I'm glad orientation has come. Finally I'll meet my classmates and get this year started.

How are you with public speaking? Any interesting incidents you'd like to report?

10 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I have not done much public speaking, therefor I am not that good at it. When I do have to say something, I usually start off awkward and embarassed but near the end it pretty much gone and I get through it. Even in public school, I was never a public speaker. Maybe that is why I hide in the lab today.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I am horrible at that kind of public speaking.

I can present my research, etc with ease because if I don't know what to say I look at the powerpoint. And generally since I've worked on it forever I know what to say.

But those introductions always make me seem mildly retarded.

9:53 AM  
Blogger GSR said...

I'm awful with the introductions and off the cuff kind of remarks. I can present a sales pitch, make a speech, give a eulogy without breaking a sweat, but I become a flubbering idiot when asked something as simple as "tell us about yourself"....

10:25 AM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

I probably gave the worst 'best man's' addresses for my brother Matt which started off with "Hi, I'm Martin and I'm an alcoholic..."

2:46 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

I have an incident for you. This is a what not to do during introductions incident.

I work for a human rights organization. We had an all staff meeting where a few of our Board attended to get to know and meet the staff. The intros followed the basic guide of Hi I’m Lily, I work in department X, I’ve been here six years and I’m from Massachusetts.

When someone of color introduced themselves one of the board members became very interested in them and actually asked a few to “say something in your native langue.” That’s pretty bad right? Ok, well next is M, M is Moroccan. He’s tells her he is originally from Morocco and she says, “They make great rugs there.”

I think the majority of staff complained to the Board President about her comments.

3:11 PM  
Blogger dusty said...

I addressed the heads of our company once, reporting on our Accounts Recievable's. I kept noticing that some in the front row were smirking through my whole presentation. When I finished and turned around to leave, a large roar came out of the crowd.....

I had my skirt tucked up into my pantyhose through the entire presentation.My ass wasn't exposed thank god, but it was quite obvious that the skirt had a "wardrobe malfunction"..I wanted to die but I made some smart ass comment during the get together afterwards..

5:24 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

I hate public speaking. I think there are some people who are born to do it and others like me who are so nervous that no matter what I do, it pretty much makes me sound like I am a bumbling idiot.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Since I was a disk jockey in a former life ("Fast Freddy"), I love public speaking.

Give me an invitation, and I'm ready to roll...

9:05 PM  
Blogger Moose said...

Vavoom Danderfield...I like it. I'm alright with public speaking depending on the size of the group. Yet another reason I never went in to politics.

9:29 PM  
Blogger European said...

I like to speak in front of people. My problem is the shutting up part.
Guess why I need a blog to express myself! ;)

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home