Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Finally.

My latest 30 hour time course experiment failed yesterday, badly. This was particularly troubling since group meeting was coming later that night. Yes, I was again promised that I'd have to do another chalk talk. No data and a chalk talk. Wonderful.

When group meeting hit, I was so exhausted. I had been up for the last 36 hours. At this point, I didn't really care if I was going to get jumped.

BS: Vavoom, you're up.
V: Yeah, well... my experiment didn't work out so well, but I know why.
BS: Why?
V: Well, our fiber launch keeps drifting and by the time the experiment is done, we've lost 40% of our power. I've got the data to prove it. I'd like to put together a system that won't have that problem...
GM1: We don't need to put together another system. Why can't you just sit next to the damned thing while you're doing the experiment and keep adjusting it?
V: Continue to adjust it while the experiment is going? For thirty hours? That's not sensible.
GM1: Why not?
V: While I'm collecting data, I should continue to realign the optics? C'mon, that's preposterous. To fix it, we'll only need to spend $500. I'll pay that out of pocket if Bigshot won't pony up the cash.
BS: Yes, we can certainly afford that. GM1 -- you're idea is completely stupid. You want him to change the laser power dynamically, while data is being taken? In the course of your life, have you never taken a measurement? You are a fifth year graduate student, right? Why would suggest something so inane?
GM1: (frustrated) I, uhhh... well, Vavoom wants to waste money on things like irises. I keep telling him that two points don't necessarily define a line and we can align the system with just one iris.
BS: Okay, stop. You're telling me that one point defines a line? Vavoom, take a seat, thanks. GM1, get up to the board. I need to see you prove to me that one point defines a line. I need to see your idiocy in action.

All told, Group Member 1 spent 2.5 hours at the board being thrashed by Bigshot. It was like watching a one way knife fight. Group Member 1 has been the bane of my existence since I arrived here at Fancypants University. Maybe you guys are right. Maybe karma is real.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good that you got a break! Phew!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

It's no wonder you get depressed, being around mean people so often.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Sweet. It's nice when things work out like that.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

Wow, it is so nice to see what comes around goes around.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Moose said...

Things will improve V. Keep showing them that you are talented. The rest will fall into place.

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Sister Vavoom said...

Shodenfraud (spelling?) Ha!Ha! What comes around, goes around. Just make sure being in that environment doesn't turn you into exhibiting the same behavior. You have always treated people with dignity and respect- make sure you continue to do so.

9:50 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

Yup, Karma is real. I went to elementary school with her and she was tall and imposing. Don't mess with Karma because she always comes back.

1:02 AM  
Blogger RT said...

Ah! So there's no secret scientific formula for the line! Cool. I was wondering why you were so stress about him saying you only need one point, I didn't know you were working with lasers...

I don't know if I would be so quick to call it Karma. Not to rain on your parade or anything, but it kind of sounds like PB just likes to spread the shit around to everyone.

It's good that he's willing to give up the funds to get your project going again, though. I mean, all talk aside, at least you know you can do your job effectively because you have the backing.

8:57 AM  
Blogger dusty said...

of course there is karma! the tooth fairy might be a crock but karma is real..plus RT is right..BS just likes to jerk everyones chain..hes an equal opportunity jackass..

2:34 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

I'm getting depressed reading about some of these guys.

I guess he got what he deserved.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home