Friday, September 30, 2005

Poor Q.

Every research group has one crazy guy. You know, someone with small yellow birds circling around his/her head all the time.

We have "Q." It's very sad, really. Whenever I come into work late at night I see Q, sitting at his desk, staring into space, rocking himself. It's clear that he suffers from a severe disorder. What's worse, people in the group seem to enjoy screwing with him.

Two days ago, some group members saw Q posting a "Male Seeking Female" ad on craigslist. They thought it would be hilarious to have Q meet his "dream girl" at a restaurant in downtown Boston. I ran into Q on his way out:

V: Big Q, what's going on?
Q: I've got a date tonight. I'm really excited, because I haven't been on a date in a while.
V: Q, don't go. It's a joke, the guys... they're playing a joke on you.

Suddenly, Q started rocking himself while he stood, "It, it can't be a joke. I, I, I know it can't. I'm gonna go. They guys probably were thinking about screwing with me... but this girl, she's waiting for me."

I returned to the lab at 2 AM. There I saw poor Q, again rocking himself in his chair. It was clear that he had been crying. I love practical jokes. I hate cruelty. In this case, the distinction was clear.

14 Comments:

Blogger European said...

Boy, these lab rats really sound horrible! As Wendy would say "They need a mother very badly!"

10:18 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

That's so sad. At least you were kind enough to try and stop him.

11:38 AM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

Poor guy. Hope karma catches up with these fools soon enough.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Who are these people you work with? They are starting to sound like the spawn of Satan to me.

It is so sad what they did to that poor guy.

4:53 PM  
Blogger A Fashionista said...

Mean people suck.
That is so high school and you should tell them just that.
"Guys that is so high school" so that they can know how juvenile they are.

So you work with Rainman huh?

6:26 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

They say there is a fine line between brilliance and insanity. Q may be teetering on the edge. Noticing this, no one should be helping him take any further steps from reality. Bastards.

8:44 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Mmmm... A crazy scientist who needs a date?

Do you have his phone number? :D

10:50 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

And just what were you doing there at 2 AM, pray tell?

12:45 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

RT: Trust me, Q is not for you.

Fred: Don't ask...

12:47 PM  
Blogger thc said...

I think RT and Q might be a good match. Go ahead, give her his number, this could be fun!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Meow said...

OMG, do not fix up anyone you know with Q. Sounds like he needs a shrink! He's the type who comes in to work and goes postal with an uzi. Sounds like a section 8 to me.
Be his friend Vavoom, maybe he'll spare you on uzi day.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

I can't believe that people at FU would do something so childish as this. I really do have a better understanding of what you have to endure each day.

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Moose said...

It sucks, but at least he knows he can count on you for the truth. Thanks V

9:46 AM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

I can just hear it. Vavoom walks into the lab one day and sees Q shaking and rocking himself back and forth uttering "everything was so good but she left to check her blog."

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home