Tuesday, September 20, 2005

School's In.

My first day of classes went well. I must say, I feel overwhelmed. As a graduate student, you have to keep up with classes, research and current scientific literature. How anyone is able to keep up with all three is beyond me.

My day started at 7:30 AM, ended at 10:30 PM. One meal all day.

Swing low... sweet chariot... comin' for to carry me home...

One highlight -- I'm taking a course dealing with Markov Chains. Apparently, once I've mastered Markov Chains, I'll be able to cook up some cool card tricks. Of course, I'll post them for y'all. That is what graduate school is all about, right -- cool card tricks?

I have an important meeting with Prof. Bigshot tommorrow. Apparently some of the stuff I'm working on will be included in Bigshot's talk at a big conference. I'll have to get heaps of research done in the next few weeks. What can you do, right? Well, I'm going to bury my head and plow through classes and research. I've found that I'm much happier and certainly much more productive when I ignore all of the politics around me and simply work.

13 Comments:

Blogger thc said...

I think I have a Markov chain on my mountain bike.

7:37 AM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

These professors have it amazingly easy. They send a grad student to learn all they can from a class, they receive the Cliff Notes version and regurgitate it in a speech to make themselves seem knowledgeable. Bastards! BTW, I wonder what Markov Chains effects would be on Chaos Theory.

11:20 AM  
Blogger dusty said...

well i hope you will have time to blog Vavoom..we would miss you terribly..

3:32 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Kinda like teachers with interns, 80s. I guess that would make me a bastard. :)

Markov chain and card tricks? This, I gotta see.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Davydgrey said...

Markov chain class? Math, Physics, or Biology?

7:29 PM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

I remember covering Markov chains in college finite math. Yeck. You gave me flashbacks.

Hope today you actually had more than a single meal and some sleep! Do you remember what your wife looks like? You haven't mentioned how Mrs. Vavoom is liking Boston and Fancypants.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Ivan said...

I've come to this conclusion, Vavoom. You're just a wee bit smarter then I.

10:39 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Whoa, I'm impressed that thc has a mountain bike, lol.

So am I reading this right, Vavoom? PB uses the info you give him to do his speeches? Boy, talk about biting the hand that feeds you... You could have a lot of fun with this!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

RT: Yup, PB uses the info. Since my name is attached to it, I'm not inclined to play any games. Although, much fun could be had.

davy: None of the above and all of the above.

martin: I'm not sure I see a clear connection between the two, yet. I'll let you know if I learn of otherwise.

10:31 AM  
Blogger The Disgruntled Chemist said...

Yeah, RT, that's kind of how grad school works. The professors are the ones who are well known, so they go and give all the talks and promote themselves. They have ideas about what projects to do so they can get more well known and get more funding. The grad students exist to do these projects and give their advisors something to talk about at conferences.

Oh, and the grad students make time for classes and studying and reading papers in there somewhere as well, as Vavoom noted. Hang in there, Vavoom - the first year of grad school is tough, but it's worth it when you get to the third year (where I am now) and all you have to do is research.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Davydgrey said...

Vavoom, Chemistry? Or do I have to keep on guessing...

5:41 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Never even thought about the funding (which I'm guessing benefits everyone?)

It's no wonder you get so frustrated with these people, Vavoom.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Davy: Ask Marten. I think he knows.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home