Thursday, September 29, 2005

Turn Damn You.

I've been promised that fall here on the east coast is spectacular. "It's coming, next week... you watch," I'm continually told. The trees are very green. There's nothing indicating that I'm going to be the recipient of a carotenoid laden visual display. At this point I'm not convinced it's going to happen. Then again, I'm also not convinced that it gets very cold here in the winter. Denial? Who's in denial?

Yesterday I overheard a worker saying, "Yeah, fall around here used to really be something. These days it lasts three weeks and then it's freezing cold. I feel bad for all these students coming here expecting months of beauty."

Columbus Day (read: indigenous people day) is high season for fall foliage. Mrs. Vavoom and I are going to drive up to New Hampshire and look at all the colors. There had better be some beauty or I'm going to go postal on mother nature.

10 Comments:

Blogger LoraLoo said...

I'm going to laugh when you write your first post about all the damn snow, and why won't it go away!

Of course I can laugh, I'm in the desert, where there is no real winter. If it's under 60 here, we're all in parkas and mittens!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Ivan said...

Same Here Loraloo. If it gets under 60 its freezing, and i'm wearing a jacket. But I'll join in laughing, because the snow up there lasts for ages. And i'd suggest that you avoid going postal on mother nature, because she tends not to take kindly to that sort of thing.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Check out www.massvacation.com/foliage

So V what do you consider cold?

Personally I think it's not going to be as snowy this year. Why do I think this...it's the squirrels...last year they were foraging in August, this year, not so much.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

We do not have a fall here in Vegas. We go from using our air conditioning (it is in the 90's still) to using our heaters. Sometimes we get about a week (if we are really lucky) of nice beautiful weather. The leaves just fall off and die... they go from green to brown overnight.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Lily: If it's below 50 degrees, it's cold.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Merry Stitcher said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Merry Stitcher said...

Go here:

http://www.weather.com/maps/activity/fallfoliage/index_large.html

Look at where you used to live, and compare that to where you live now.

Then, pack your camera. You're most definitely in for a treat!

12:37 AM  
Blogger dusty said...

lmao..if its below 50 dear man?

the fall is beautiful in mass..i remember it and can still see it in my mind Vavoom.the crispness in the air in the morning..seeing your breath for the first time when you go out to start your car..the first morning when everything is covered with a fine layer of frost..oh how i wish i was there now..i so miss the east coast in the fall..

2:27 AM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

At least you can hope for a few months of beauty. Deserts have a nice status quo 97% of the time with little to look forward to.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I used to drive the Mass Pike from Worcester to Albany every year; I can remember listening to the baseball playoffs while driving. It truly was a spectacular view.

But, you heard it right. It signals the beginning of four lousy months weather-wise.

Enjoy it while you can. :)

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home