Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I'm Melting!


Q: What do you get when you combine remnants of Wilma and a powerful noreaster?
A: A very wet Vavoom.

Good God. Somebody has got to fix the sidewalks around here. Getting to work this morning resembled a steeplechase. I'm now walking around with that not-so-fresh-squishy-sneakers feeling.

I've never been a big fan of the rain. Color me negative, but I can't stand walking around, getting wet, while everyone insists on poking me in the eye with their open umbrella. Another thing -- if you're walking around with an umbrella and I'm not, please refrain from walking under awnings. You've got an umbrella. I have nothing. Give me at least 30 seconds of dry time under an awning. No, there really isn't enough room for two people to walk beneath it.

Here's the funny thing -- Prof. Bigshot always tries to play up how great the weather is here at Fancypants University. "Boy, oh boy... I sure love this little downpour... it brings so much character to the place." Right, right, everybody sopping wet, cold 40 mph gusts hammering you in the face whilst you walk. Character. Right. The best comment from Bigshot, ever: "Just think of all the work you can get done here in lab while the weather's like this... man, you guys are going to be soooo productive!"

In other news, I have a massive exam on Thursday. Massive. I can honestly say that the courses at Fancypants University are about as good as the weather here. At least I knew the weather would blow. The shoddy courses are rather surprising. I'm thinking of dropping an anonymous note to the instructor for one of my classes. During every episode of his class, Terrible Teaching 101, I feel like I'm getting sodomized with a tire iron. Yes, it's that bad. I'm trying to figure out some fun activities to do during Terrible Teaching 101. Any suggestions?

10 Comments:

Blogger LoraLoo said...

I suggest an IPod or a portable Playstation. Blatantly ignoring the professor is not always a good idea, but at least you'll be enjoying yourself.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I had a history teacher, one time, that spoke with a mono-tone voice through the entire class. I had the hardest time staying awake. It's a wonder that I even passed that class...

9:04 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

Good luck on the exam. As far as activities - try the crossword puzzle. That's what my kids do when I'm boring them to tears.

FYI - I used your post, "The Fabulous Five" in class this morning; it went well. In fact, it went great. Thanks for letting me use it.

I have a few Muslim students in that class, they complimented me on the lesson plan. Instead of stealing the praise (as I usually do), I gave them your blog address. Hopefully, you'll have a few new readers.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Your man at LA said...

The teaching is worse than it the last not so fancy pants university that you attended. Seems hardly possible.

9:15 AM  
Blogger RT said...

It's on days like this that I have to wonder if global warming is such a bad thing.

Good luck on that exam!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Ruvym said...

For fun things to do during a boring lecture, check this out:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~caralarm/jokes/lecture.html

4:23 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

If you are fighting boredom in that class, I'd start making lists. List as many metal bands that you can before the class is up. Next day, favorite movies. Following day, places you need to visit... etc. After awhile, you will have tons of great lists to go back to when you go on vacation, are at Blockbuster or are talking to someone that loves heavy metal music. Lists are good. Btw, thanks for sharing the weather (its wet and we had tons of hail.)

4:41 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

You get a cold wet Lily too. Let's observe a moment of silence for all the umbrellas that did not make it today...........

8:04 PM  
Blogger Bar Bar A said...

I'm with Loraloo and 80s nut: you need an iPod and a list of great rock bands. Oh man, I feel for ya. I think I would die if I had to go back to school.

Good luck on the test!

Why don't you have an umbrella? Now the mother in me will lie in bed tonight worrying that you are catching a cold....

8:36 PM  
Blogger irishkeough said...

spoken like a true LA guy. You are so soft and weak.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home