Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Workplace Curse.

It's just not possible. I've tried and tried. I simply cannot get any studying done while I'm in the lab. Yes, I have a nice desk, I'm well isolated. Still, every 10 minutes someone is bothering me. "Vavoom, could you take a look at this?" "Vavoom, did you hear about so and so?" "Vavoom, would you like to shoot a poison arrow through my heart?"

I'm officially stressed out. I've got a huge exam tomorrow and I am nowhere near ready. Honest. I am sort of screwed. Thus, I'm staying home today and studying my ass off. It's sad, but staying home is my only chance. If I step foot into the lab, some craptastic waste of time will be foisted upon me.

Take yesterday as an example. I'm at my desk, trying to study. Along comes Prof. Bigshot, "Vavoom, can you give group meeting today?" "Uhhh... well... I have an exam coming up and I'd really rather not..." "Great, it doesn't have to be a long group meeting. I appreciate it." I don't think my polite "no thank you" even registered with Bigshot. Afterwards a labmate came by, "Vavoom, can you believe that Bigshot is making me help out with that grant? I mean, blah blah blah blah blah..." "I have an exam, dude. Let's talk about this later." "Oh, sorry. I forgot you were studying. You know, I remember when I was taking this class and Bigshot blah blah blah blah blah..."

Pray for me. An email has just shown up in my inbox. It's from Bigshot. The first line says, "Could you come by my office soon? I have an interesting idea for you." Please Lord, please. Let me just find time to study in a quiet place.

12 Comments:

Blogger LoraLoo said...

Good luck with the studying. Staying home is probably the right idea. You're going to do just fine on that exam, I'd bet on it. :)

8:33 AM  
Blogger RT said...

So why are you blogging (and emailing) instead of studying?

5:50 PM  
Blogger Skewedview said...

Ditto rt, my thoughts exactly.

Vavoom, you need to chill out dude. You are wound entirely too tight. What's the worst thing that could happen if you didn't do your best on the exam? Just remember, they can fail you, but they can't kill you.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

I blog and e-mail when I'm eating. (I'm eating dinner now)

This post was more about the difficulty I've had finding quiet time in the lab. I guess I am wound too tight. Thanks for the insight and support.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Sis said...

Good luck on your exam tomorrow. I love you!

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

V- don't worry...you will rock it!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Bar Bar A said...

How's your ass? You said you were going to study it off, did you?

In any case, I hope that you do great on the exam and are able to relax as soon as it's over.

Let us know!

10:10 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

I think it's nice of Bigshot to use the word "soon" instead of "today" because I can see those as being entirely different. B) I would have gone to see him after the test.

12:53 AM  
Blogger ACPatriot said...

Good luck on the test Vavoom. Strangely I always found that I did my best studying in the lab... but then I am addicted to the internet.

Also, hopefully you won't regard this as spam, but on a totally unrelated note have you heard about the nationwide walkout on Nov 2? The walkout is meant as a proclamation that we would like to be rid of the Bush adminstration. If you're interested check out my blog.

Again, I apologize for the spam, kick that test's ass.

3:27 AM  
Blogger mis_nomer said...

All the best, Vavoom! :) I would take off and study at home. There's just no way to get any thinking done at work..

4:26 AM  
Blogger irishkeough said...

Just say no dude. Fuck off, your ideas are boring me.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Camphor said...

Hope you did okay on the test.

That's precisely the reason why I changed toa singel room at the dorms (the shared room invariably have people constantly coming in) or run away to some distant place and sit under a tree and study. People incessantly walk into my room - my dorm room - with the same type of comments as your collegues... so I can sympathise. the best thign to do is to put up a "Go Away" sign on the door.

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home