Monday, November 28, 2005

The Breakdown.

We hopped in our car, enthusiastic to get to New York City. We'd both been there many times, but this was a special occasion. I made a huge leap with my experiment on Wednesday night and for the first time, our vacation would be absent my typical concerns about science.

It was dumping snow along the 84. Suddenly, we heard a loud boom and something drop out from under the car. "Holy shit," I yelled out. We pulled over in New Haven, Connecticut, the home of Yale University. The power steering was giving out and we just made it into a gas station.

I opened the hood. The serpentine belt had come off and the radiator fan had shattered against the radiator. "This is just fucking great," I screamed. Suddenly, I felt a snowball hit me in the back. My wife started laughing as she ran for cover. There we were, at a random gas station, having the snowball fight of the century.

Half an hour later, covered in snow, we called AAA. We had the car towed out to a tow yard that also had a mechanic on site. He promised he'd have the car ready for us by Sunday night. How the hell did we get to Manhattan? You guessed it -- we took the train.

What adventures awaited us in New York? Stay tuned, I'll have more for you tomorrow...

10 Comments:

Anonymous Your Man in LA said...

Sorry to hear about the car. Hope the rest of the trip went ok. You do not really want a car in NYC do you. We went to Denver over Thanksgiving to see my wife godbrother and his fiance. We also did some shopping since what can be had in NM is not up to my wife's standard.

We got our first snow fall on Saturday night and my wife told me she hated me for moving her somewhere it snows again(She was kinding I think)

11:03 AM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

Vavoom! Despite the issue with the car, I'm getting the impression you and Mrs. Vavoom had a great time. Can't wait to hear the rest!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Did you at least make a snow angel, too?

This trip sounds like it's going to yield some great posts...

5:44 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Sheesh, sounds like a day in my life when I had wheels.

BTW, having a car in Boston is no day at the beach, either. Unless you want to go to the beach, of course.

8:12 PM  
Blogger mis_nomer said...

:) What an adventure! Have a good trip.

9:12 PM  
Blogger thc said...

That Mrs. V! Nothing gets her down.

11:02 PM  
Blogger European said...

Your wife sounds awesome!

This reminds me of a skiing trip we took in CO, just outside of Denver. We hit ice in the road and the car was totaled (we were fine though). We skied anyways, then took the train back to the city. Kinda romantic.

11:03 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Some of my best trips involved a disaster or two... The problems just seemed to add that little something special to the situation :o)

Kudos to your wife for being able to spot a prime opportunity to nail you with a snowball!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

When I first read the title to this blog, I was worried and thought it was going to be an emotional breakdown. Glad to hear it was just the car!

I am glad your wife was able to take a miserable situation with the car, and turn it into something fun. What a way to lighten the mood. Can't wait to hear the rest.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Camphor said...

You know, if the beginning of the trip was disaster, the rest of it was bound to be fun. No plan survives beyond the first engaement witht eh enemy, and I would be ver uneasy if everythign went smoothly. :)

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home