Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Cookin' With Bobby Flay.



The train ride to New York was easy enough. If you take the MTA, a one way ticket will cost you $14 from New Haven. If you take Amtrak, you'll spend $77. Can anybody guess which train we took? Both arrive at New Haven at exactly the same time. It's no wonder that Amtrak is a bust.

When we arrived we walked around Times Square. It had been a while since I'd been to New York. It's such an amazing place. The funny thing was, it was impossible to walk on the sidewalks. They were jammed with tourists saying things like "Wow, look a Hard Rock Cafe!" Note -- I was one of these tourists. I found myself marveling in the sights, sounds and yes, even the smells associated with Manhattan.

It was Thanksgiving day. We had missed the parade, but I hear it was of the "contact sport" variety. We had dinner at Bobby Flay's Bar Americain. The food was absolutely amazing. I'd like to tell you that Bobby Flay came right up to our table and hung out with us. No, that's not what happened. Instead, some lady at the table next to ours decided that looking at me incessantly and disapprovingly shaking her head would be a good way to enjoy her meal.

I swear, she did it 20 times. Was there a booger hanging out of my nose? Had I unwittingly soiled myself? What was her deal? Then I heard her say, in a thick syrupy accent, "Ah never thought we'd be sittin' next ta' one a them." She must have been refering to my status as a graduate student. Nobody likes to have Thanksgiving dinner next to a graduate student, right? It couldn't have been the color of my skin? Nah, she just didn't like the fact that I was a scientist. Yeah, that's it.

I leaned into the table and whispered loudly to Mrs. Vavoom, "Man, prejudiced people are such assholes. They can't even enjoy Thanksgiving without being insulting." The woman perked up. I thought to myself, "Yeah, that's right bitch. I heard you." Mrs. Vavoom then said loudly, "I heard what she said too, Vavoom. Do you want to move tables?" I can't tell you why, but I looked at my wife and we started laughing uncontrollably. Everytime I looked over at the lady next to us, I couldn't help it, I cracked up. We laughed until we cried. Soon enough, they moved to another table. Good Riddance.

Would you like to hear about the amazing time we had the next day? Tune in tomorrow... (Am I a tease or what?)

13 Comments:

Anonymous Your Man in LA said...

To know you were a scientist just by looking at you. Wow that is skill. What does that person expect in NYC. If she wants to be in white land maybe she should go to nebraska. When my wife and I were in a cornhusker territory Arby's she said everyone was staring at her being the only nonwhite person there. She has also recently had little hispanic children at her work make racist remarks.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Whatever happened to keeping the bigotry locked inside until you're alone?

My best friend recently had a baby in Thailand. The baby's father is African and she is Irish American. Even the people in her Thai neighborhood have been making comments about the baby's skin color and suggesting lightening creams. For a baby! What is the obsession with white skin? Seriously.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Sis said...

Good for you! You couldn't have handled that better. It is so amazing to me how racist people still are in this day of age. I'm glad you had a good laugh out of it. Maybe that lady will learn something from this and refrain from insulting other people in public.

11:42 AM  
Blogger FantasticAlice said...

We love a tease!

HAHAHA! That was great! I appreciate you putting they stupid yuppie bitch in her place.

GOOD FOR YOU!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Graduate students are known to be sloppy eaters who make very loud noises when eating. I guess she heard the noise and put two and two together. What an imbecile. (The other lady, that is...)

Tease away!

4:19 PM  
Blogger ACPatriot said...

Awesome that you didn't take that. You should have stolen their food too.

Grad students in that resteraunt must be a first.

5:19 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

I'm surprised that Lloyd hasn't posted yet because he's a big Flay fan. He uses too many veggies for me. But, I bet the dinner was tremendous. Thank you for standing up for yourself as people with low tolerance need to be reminded of how foolish their bigotry is.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

About six months ago, a group of ten black women came to the restaurant where I work for dinner. They were all between the ages of 25 to 30, refined, well-dresed and attractive. The male servers were trying to find out which ones were single.

My section was next to these women, and I was waiting on three red-faced Southern men who smacked of old money. One of them motioned me to him and said, "Those women ovah there......ah they the wahves of Titans players? They seem vereh well off."

I didn't know how to respond. It hadn't occurred to me to wonder about these women at all. I would have thought that the wives of rich athletes would have been extremely high-maintenance, and these women were not.

The man saw my look of confusion and patted my arm. "Well, don't go askin' them, now. Ah wouldn't want you to lose yoah job or anythin'."

Yeah, I'm gonna go ask a group of women who haven't done anything to offend me or the restaurant if they got the money to dine here from wealthy husbands. Because ten black women can't be so well off all by themselves?

I realized that these men must have come from plantation families which had owned slaves.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Ignorant people exist everywhere. At least you were able to enjoy the rest of your meal in peace.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Camphor said...

Sheesh.

At least you got a laugh out of it, and dear lord, these people ougth ot be shot. Or taught. I think they would actually prefer being shot than learnign tolerance.

Teasing is cute. :)

2:57 AM  
Blogger RT said...

It breaks my heart to know that there's still so much prejudice out there, but you know, in this little corner of the world that I live in, I see it every day. I hate that crap. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around how people can be so cold to each other, based only on appearance.

Anyway! I'm glad you able to enjoy your dinner, despite her intrusion, and I can't wait to hear more. So would you stop screwing around already and get on with it!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Linny said...

even though I expressly state that I want the "no scientist section" it never fails that I inevitably get stuck next to one anyway...

don't they know I prefer the screaming baby section???

10:41 AM  
Blogger dusty said...

God I would NOT have been as funny as you about the bigot. I would of embarrassed her in front of the entire restaurant..There is nothing I hate more than bigotry and racism.nothing..

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home