Tuesday, November 15, 2005

GRRRRR!!!

About two weeks ago I proposed an experiment to Prof. Bigshot. It was a great idea and Bigshot agreed. Suddenly, Bigshot did a 180 on me and decided it wasn't a good experiment. I just found out that Bigshot has farmed out my idea to another faculty member's group. When I went to class today, this is what I overheard:

I1: Man, so it's a completely new way to probe the system... what a great idea!
I2: Yeah, Prof. Bigshot talked to Prof. SoSo and I get to try the experiment. It's going to be an amazing collaboration.
I1: Dude, you are so lucky... these Fancypants profs have the best fucking ideas.
I2: I know, I know... They're going to write an entire grant around this experiment.

I kept listening. Yup, it was the experiment I proposed. I counted to ten about 5 times. I was still pissed off. What did Vavoom learn today? Keep your mouth shut, do the experiment and then scream the results to the world.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe she thought you were to busy or something or the other group was better able to do the experiment.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

Don't get me wrong, anonymous. I don't really take issue with someone else doing it as much as the idea being passed off as someone else's.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Sis said...

Ouch, that really sucks. You have had someone steal your ideas before as well. But, don't get too upset, you have an amazing mind, and hundreds of other great ideas will come to you- and yes, keep these to yourself. Hang in there...

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

Bingo.

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." I heard that once.

When you have something good, keep it to yourself.

I have seen this so many times, in academia in business, that it doesn't surprise me anymore, but it always disappoints.

7:56 PM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

Ooooo that would piss me off. Well, you learned a valuable lesson. Good enough.

12:49 AM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

I agree with you there. I keep thinking that working under a professor for so long might be a good idea to build your own reputation. After what I've heard from you about the cut-throat ways of the research field, I've been thinking that a notebook full of all the ideas that you don't pass on to Professor Bigshot would be immensely valuable when you are no longer under him.

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home