Monday, November 14, 2005

Providence.

I'm not sure what's caused this change. I'm as happy as I've been in a long while. Ahh, the roller coaster that is my life. I took the entire weekend off. We spent Saturday running around Boston and went to Providence, Rhode Island on Sunday. A little R and R was just what the doctor ordered.

Just outside Brown University, in a small cafe, I saw a man crying. He was sobbing uncontrollably. Strangely, the people in the cafe didn't even glance in his direction. I stood outside the cafe, staring at him for a while. I knew where he was. I've been there many times.

He looked up from his frothy drink and stared at me. His eyes swollen and red, his cheeks glazed with tears. I smiled, nodded and worded, "It's going to be okay." He returned a smile and added, "Eventually. Thank you."

Now that I'm feeling better (yes my recovery is ongoing, but dramatic), I feel the need to help others that might be in the same position I've been in for so long. Who's to say that me, a one time miserable wretch, could help anyone get through their saddened state? I can certainly try. Ultimately, we're all helped through tough times by divine providence. Whether that be through the action of a stranger outside of a coffee shop, a friend late at night or a concerned family member, it all makes a difference. I often wonder, are we all God's hands? Does goodness come from the simple actions of decent people? Or do you believe divine intervention comes through larger, undetectable means?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Daniel said...

About a billion years ago, as a college sophomore, I had taken an apartment with my brother. I was at a school downtown so I had the use of a car to get between our place and the University.

One very cold, winter's day I was on my way home in the midst of a blinding snow storm, caught in a miles-lomg traffic jam. Someone passing by noticed that I had a flat tire and alerted me. I pulled over and set about to changing the flat.

The spare was flat also. The snow was piling up. To make matters worse, there was no valve stem in the spare. I'm screwed.

I found a bicycle pump in the trunk (jow did that happen?) and a roll of electrical tape in the glove box. I then set about pumping up the tire to get it on the car. Eventually, I got ebough air in the thing, capped it and wrapped the tape around the cap and changed the tire, all the while wondering how I would make it home.

I did, eventually, but this happened to me as I was feverishly pumping air into the dead spare: A women walked past me and said quietly, "You have the patience of Job." Her words startled me and I turned around to see who had said this. No one was on the sidewalk. I finished my task, got back into the car and made it back to the apartment. I will always remember that woman from nowhere, and to this day I can hear her voice, but can't conjure a face. Providence? Hallucination? Whatever, it got me through a wretched night.

11:13 AM  
Blogger European said...

I think you're right, Vavoom: We are all God's hands.
Glad you're feeling better!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

I love Rhode Island, one of the best kept secrets of the Northeast. Providence rocks, but when you get a chance, go to Narragansett and Newport.

Glad you're better. Did you get some meds or did you just get lucky? (with your mood; get your mind out of the freakin' gutter.)

1:38 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I noticed the change in your response to my latest post. Fun was back! Whatever it is, do more of it.

Welcome back.

7:51 PM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

I agree with Fred; your mood is evident and it's nice to have you back. Sleep and the R&R are beautiful things - I think they're a part of your great mood (remember that the next time you spend 17 hours at Fancypants U three+ days in a row).

I do believe it's a little of both divine intervention and fate. Someone unseen stepping in to help out at times, other times the impeccable timing of a good friend (or a complete stranger!).

11:35 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

I think you are doing a great job with your recovery and it only shows your good nature to wish to impart the same goodwill shown you upon others. A little clarity is a good thing.

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home