Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Call.

My wife's grandmother and my grandmother were best friends back in the old country. Their friendship continued as they grew. They stuck by one another through school, marriage and the challenges of raising children. In fact, my wife's grandmother used to babysit my father when he was a toddler. She was devastated when my grandmother died, years before I was born.

Naturally, everyone was ecstatic to hear that my wife and I fell in love. It was all rather random. I was reintroduced to my wife at my brother's wedding. Her grandmother was so pleased. I'd never known what it was like to have a grandmother. I couldn't help but feel simultaneously cheated that I never grew up around my grandmother and fortunate to have been adopted by my wife's.

Two days ago, at 8 AM, the phone rang. My wife's grandmother died.

She was a wonderful person and I am heartened to know that her suffering is over and that she has moved on to a better place. Becoming acquainted with the joy of having a grandmother and then losing her is painful. I will never forget her.

10 Comments:

Blogger Omnibus Driver said...

I am so sorry. I'll say a prayer for her... and for your family.

You're right -- no matter how much it hurts in the end, you are so much richer for having had her in your life.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Sorry to learn about Mrs. Vavoom's grandmother. She sounds like a very special woman.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Bar Bar A said...

That's the hardest kind of call to get. My prayers go out to your whole family.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Meow said...

With great condolences to you and the family, I can only say, I know it will be hard.

12:15 AM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

Vavoom, I am so sorry for your family's loss. At the same time, so happy for your gain - I too did not know what it's like to have a grandmother around. I will have you in my prayers.

12:55 AM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss there, Vavoom. It's actually a pretty amazing story in and of itself that through the grandmother you gained in marriage, you were able to get to know the one you weren't able to. My thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

4:35 AM  
Blogger RT said...

I'm also sorry to hear about your wife's Grandmother, Vavoom.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Bruce said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's grandmother. My thughts and prayers go out to you and your wife.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Condolences on your families loss V.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

I am so sorry to hear about your wife's grandma as well. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home