Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The World of Me.



It's been a while. I've been overloaded with work and writing. The author I met with recently would like to meet again to discuss my progress. It's surprising that an accomplished writer would take an interest in my work. All appears well on that front.

Scientifically, things are going somewhat well. Not as well as the writing, but things are chugging along.

I'm also teaching this semester. It's an introductory course. Teaching freshman is always fun. They're motivated, excited and free of the bad habits that typically set in with older students. I've got a couple of ravenous pre-med students on my hands. Jesus, I spent 30 minutes today explaining to one of said students why losing two points really isn't the end of the world.

Not too long ago, I took a trip to Walden Pond. I sat and thought. About everything. About nothing. After stumbling across the above sign placed near Thoreau's cabin, I asked myself, "Have I lived deliberately? Have I really lived at all for that matter?" Having felt a bit spooked by the introspection induced by a simple sign, I started walking. I shook the disquieting prospect of my prior questions, by following them up with, "Has anyone?"

8 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

First, it's good to know you're alive and well. Don't make me yell at you anymore. :P

Sounds like you've been quite the busy bee. I'm glad things are looking up with the writing. That's awesome.

Wow! Teaching freshman! That's yeah, just wow. I have this thing with high school kids. They make me nuts. I can't like them. I couldn't even when I was one. AND you like it. You're a gem.

That sign is making me think, too. I sat here for a minute thinking about it when I remembered I was gonna leave a comment. . .

10:00 AM  
Blogger thc said...

Wow. I don't believe it. Vavoom lives!

I was forced to read a bunch of HDT as a junior in high school and hated it. Funny how a few decades can change one's perspective.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Why spend all that time thinking about life. Just live it.

6:02 PM  
Blogger European said...

I think that "living deliberately" can only be done temporarily or partially.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

Nice to hear from you again!

I think the part I am stuck on is the part that says "not learn what it had to teach"
very interesting. So many times you rely on others to tell you what something means and you really don't take that moment to figure things out on your own.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Meow said...

HE'S ALIVE! HE'S ALIVE! Vavoom, I went to a Chinese restaurant and saw jerk chicken on the menu. I was flabbergasted and of course I thought of you. LOL Needless to say, I had the satay chicken to be on the safe side:) I'll be having chicken for awhile to lose a few pounds or until bird flu comes my way. Sucks. Good luck with the writing. Sounds like you found a nice spot for inspiration when and if you get writers block. Hell just go there to relax once in awhile. Why not? Cheers

3:41 PM  
Blogger mis_nomer said...

Wow! Like the Walden Pond?

How to decide which are "the essential facts of life" though? That is a tough call. Is it self-sufficiency, like Thoreau, or mutual dependency, like Confucius?

So no, I have not lived deliberately. Though I know of people who seem to -- Rick Warren (of the Purpose driven life)...

1:18 AM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

You need to give that sign to your student asking about the 2 points.

2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home