Monday, March 27, 2006

The New Digs.

As has become customary, I'll start by apologizing for my lack of attention to Tedrow Drive. Much has happened since I last checked in with y'all. I have a meeting with the editor in chief of a major newspaper in the Boston area. I also have another meeting with the author that seems interested in my work. As far as writing goes, everything is chugging along just fine and dandy.

Scientifically, things are moving along fine. There's been some nasty politics swirling about here in the lab. To make a long story short, I was getting dragged into the fray and swiftly recused myself from the situation.

Now for the big news. The really, really big news. We bought our first home!!! Yup, you read that right. Vavoom Q. Citizen is now a homeowner. Our new place is in a fantastic part of Boston, not far from John Kerry's house (I shit you not). We got the place for a fantastic price.

It's interesting, life changes once you have a mortgage. Suddenly I feel "all grown up." We're nervous, but excited to close escrow in the next month or so. For whatever reason, I'm overjoyed with the notion of making simple repairs, redoing the bathrooms and having guests over. It seems like it will be a healthy distraction.

Now it's your turn -- what's your big news? How have you been?

23 Comments:

Anonymous Your man at LA said...

You should be clear that your lovely wife got a house and is allowing you to live there. One of my wife's friends who is a lawyer told her that she is entitled to half my income(derived from my PhD) for the rest of my life because she supported during graduate school at a leave I could not have on my stipend.

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's hope this is not YOUR "Money Pit" but a house filled only with joy and love, YOUR "Little House on the Prairie."

Just remember to carry wife over the threshhold like a good husband!



Maggie

7:35 AM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

Congratulations Vavoom!! Being a home owner adds a whole new level of stress, but is one of the best purchases you'll ever make. But I'm sure you already knew that.

I agree, don't forget to carry her over the threshold, it's good luck!

4:10 PM  
Blogger An80sNut said...

Congrats on the new home and the progress on your writing. There is a major change that happens when you get a place to call your own. You've been missed. B)

6:33 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

A good price in Beacon Hill? Does that mean under half a million? Yes I'm bitter.

I was in Boston last month and thought of looking you up. I'll be back this summer. I'll have to take you to Sound Bites in Somerville myself, 'cause I know you won't get there on your own.

1:29 PM  
Blogger European said...

Congrats on the house purchase! So exciting.
The big news here is the husband's new job and all the ensuing Big Decisions (new car, to move or not to move, having dinner at 8:30pm routinely...). Exciting and exhausting!

11:39 PM  
Blogger dusty said...

Congrats on being a homeowner..now you too can have sleepless nights worrying about the plumbing and insects eating the wood.. :P

11:16 AM  
Blogger irishkeough said...

things are pretty good. T minus 2 months until chicago calls. i'm stressed like crazy trying to finish. you'll understand someday...oh wait, you already do.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Meow said...

I had a sex change operation.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Meow said...

Nah, I'm just fucking with you.
I'm 100% GURL. Always, was and always will be. LOL
Triple congratulation! I'm very excited for you all.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Shefali said...

I just went to South America - Check out some of my pictures =)

1:43 AM  
Blogger Joann said...

Wonderful.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Hey Vavoom, just checking in to say hi. Hope all is well.

11:15 AM  
Blogger RT said...

March 27??? It's now May 24th!

Look, I'm glad you got the new digs, but come on, how long does it take you to move in???

Give us an update already. How's it going???

3:15 AM  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Good deal with the house!

I am too chicken to buy any property in Miami. For one I can not exactly afford it right now - but more importantly there are those pesky hurricanes! I know that when I buy a house a few months later a storm will just rip the roof off.

My big news is I am going to Mexico! Of a cruise ship! HOORAY!

5:45 PM  
Blogger GodWarrior said...

I am going to Heaven one day.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Dude, where the fuck are you?

9:14 PM  
Blogger mister said...

an alternative lebanon
http://www.arteeast.org/artenews/artenews-articles2006/rheim-alkadhi/artenews-r-alkadhi.html

12:45 PM  
Blogger neil said...

Terrible. But more attractive than ever.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Checking in again, V. Hope you've been paying all the mortgage payments on time. :)

12:02 AM  
Blogger RT said...

Miss you, hun. What have you been up to???

11:23 PM  
Blogger RT said...

I can tell, you're dying to let us know something about what you've been up to, aren't you?

Come on, make it short and sweet, you can tell us :D We're (I'm) your biggest fan...

Give it up already!

6:30 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Please don't make me feel like an idiot, respond.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home